Nightime solar input?

backroad
backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
Something that I haven't noticed before. I have 11.2 volts showing on my MX60 at 8PM. I was think'n that it might be moon rays that were charging but it's way too cloudy.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Nightime solar input?

Hi backroad,

It is fairly common for the MX-60 to show some lowish Vin even when it is Sleeping IIRC. Believe that this is caused from leakage twix the battery and the input where the Vin is measured.

I did have a problem with my MX about 3 years ago where the Vin was above battery voltage, the MX said that it was making about 80 Watts from total darkness, the MX was warm to the touch and on occasion, the fan would run. This WAS a problem. OB said that there were some bad FETs inside the MX, they repaired it, and knock .. knock no problems since.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same Issue here, I have been testing a Outback FlexMax 80 with 2.0 Firmware and it also shows voltage in the 11V range sometimes when its dark outside, I could unplug the panel and it still shows the voltage but no current. Weird.

It also shows more current going into the battery by .2 to 1+ Amps more than its actually pumping into the battery.

I expected more from an Outback Charge Controller.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The outback controllers will show a voltage at night it is normal I believe it is a resistor in there that has something to do with monitoring the power when it is waking up.

As for the outback controller I agree they really dropped the ball on the FM series.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

FWIW, just back from an overnight at the cabin in prep for a long weekend coming up. I noticed for the first time that Vin was 1 volt...??? all night. it was still there at 5 am, 1 V...??? why would it start this after 1 1/2 years?

BTW, I have seen it read 1 - 2 v on a crystal clear night in the summer with a full moon that rose before sundown, but then as a tree intercepted some of the moonbeams it went to Zero.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • backroad

With all the wierd stuff that happens, it would not surprise me to see one of my panels or the Flexmax 60 to give "MILK"...
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    backroad wrote: »
    With all the wierd stuff that happens, it would not surprise me to see one of my panels or the Flexmax 60 to give "MILK"...

if it starts mooing you'll know.:p
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

he said moon beam, not moo beam.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

mike,
    does the moon give milk or cows that moo?
  • backroad

Things have been going MOO for a long time around here, but I think it's really the cows and they won't give me any milk...
  • Toddlingham
    Toddlingham Registered Users Posts: 7

Aside from showing a ghost voltage, which the MX-60 also does, What's wrong with the FM series? I've had very few problems with Outback products and have never dealt with any company quicker to make it right when one did fail.