glass shattered on Kyocera 120

Can anything be done? Is the glass glued to the cells or can i replace the glass? Help anyone

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: glass shattered on Kyocera 120

People are reading your tale of sorrow... But, probably do not have any helpful answers.

The panels are sealed and while the solar cells will still work with the glass broken, once water/dust gets in they will quickly fail.

You can try sealing with a cover glass or such--Or just pick out the cells and give them to a school for science class and take a tax deduction.

It is possible that you my get home owner's insurance coverage (if it is over the deductible--and does not just increase your rates), or guarantee from the manufacturer if it failed for some reason that was covered (small hail, frame failed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if it isn't shattered all over the place, but merely cracked, has anybody tried some of that stuff that fixes windshields? i forgot what it's called, but it stops a crack in a windshield from traveling further and makes it not as obvious with seeing a crack. anyone even remember what it's called?
    if you try something like this sg62 please let us know how well it does and how much the output gets degraded. btw, it is special low iron glass if you try putting another glass layor over it.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I would just cover the whole thing with another peice of glass.

Just out of curiosity, how did it break? Dropped, something hit it? Hail?
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote:
    if it isn't shattered all over the place, but merely cracked, has anybody tried some of that stuff that fixes windshields?

I think with tempered glass, it does not crack as normal, but actually shatters into 1/4 little chunks, instantly, over the whole surface.

What the heck cracked it in the first place ? It's supposed to be pretty tough stuff
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I bought it off ebay...no insurance. The package had 2 in it, one was fine, the other was smashed where the electrical box is at. They must have dropped the box. and ya, the whole thing is shattered.
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭

I recently received a panel that was damaged in shipping. The glass was still attached to the panel, but cracked in many tiny pieces as mike90045 said. I decided to remove the glass piece-by-piece. I'm still working on it. If I ever get another panel with similar damage I would just cover it with another piece of glass, carefully sealing the edges to keep moisture out.

John
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

How are you doing it? I had thought of doing the same thing but how are you removing the glue that attaches the glass fragments to the cells?
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've carefully removed the tiny pieces of glass using a putty knife. I haven't removed the glue, and probably won't. I'll just apply a new piece of glass. There seems to be a thin fiberglass sheet between the glass and the photocells, and of course the glue. Maybe with a little heat, the new glass will stick to the panel.

I'm now removing the putty-like substance from the channels in the frame. It's difficult to remove it all, applying heat doesn't help, and I haven't found anything that will disolve it.

If you haven't already started removing the glass, I think you'll be better off just attaching another piece of glass on top.

John