Xantrex XW Power distribution panel: Worth it?

Options
Sheldon
Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭
I am trying to figure out where there is a $1000 in this. So far as I can tell, its some sheet metal, a few AC breakers, a dc breaker and thats it.

Am I missing something?

I understand there is value in a clean install. but I am not seeing $800 of value

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW Power distribution panel: Worth it?

The DC breaker and enclosure alone is ~300.00 and you get raceways to cover the DC connections to the XW.

Time is money and yes you could do something yourself for less, whether your inspector approves your work might be worth the price of this UL approved solution
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

Check out the breaker box from Midnite solar made for the XW line less money less space and does everything you need for a single inverter system

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=72&productCatName=DR/TR%20SAMLEX%20E-PANELS&productCat_ID=6

here is a link it comes with everything you need including the shunt
  • Sheldon
    Options

Thanks, thats an interesting alternative as I was starting to run out of space,
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the Midnite solar box on my system. It worked great for me.

I realy liked the buss bar connections to the inverter.

http://thekrusechronicles.blogspot.com/2009/06/solar-power-long-post.html
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They both are worth every penny unless you have a lot of time and can fabricate your own. The X box may be a better choice in an inspected system as you can state the whole system is UL listed from the same manufacture. It is one less hurdle with a picky building department.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Options

When I installed my system I tried to do it 'on the cheap' and instead used the Xantrex DC250, dc distribution box, along with a 'standard' ac box w/breakers.

I probably ended up saving $200 total, and in the end wish that I went with the Xantrex XW distribuition box.

Midnite Solar also makes a nice unit for the XW.

End up saving yourself time and use one of them, believe it from someone that wishes he did.

Dan Lenox
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was looking at the Outback Flexpower One.

Similar concept and in a nice tidy package. I don't know what the cost is.

I've pieced things together in my house on the cheap. Mostly because I promised my wife I would not spend much on my little experiment. I learned a lot. The most important lesson is a turn key package is what I'm going to go with for our cabin.
  • Sheldon
    Options

The pre-packaged inspector friendly aspect is a valuable one, and certainly thats worth a lot of labor time. (since in CA, all electrical work MUST BE DONE BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN....)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sheldon wrote: »
    The pre-packaged inspector friendly aspect is a valuable one, and certainly thats worth a lot of labor time. (since in CA, all electrical work MUST BE DONE BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN....)

Not true. A homeowner can do their own work. You just need to do it to code. (And the permit will reflect that)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Sheldon
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Not true. A homeowner can do their own work. You just need to do it to code. (And the permit will reflect that)

State disagrees with you
    Basic Facts About Contracting in California

Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

That is for being a contractor for hire, not a home owner doing work themselfs
  • Sheldon
    Options

Well, I have the verbal input from my building inspector for what its worth.

I do plan to do my own, 35 yrs of working and 2 degrees and a code book should suffice.

In NH a homeowner could do their own work except plumbing, you actually had to get a plumber to pull the permit.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Each county can do what it wants as far as electrical in California. I tend to agree with the others that most home electrical can be permitted for the homeowner to complete and be inspected. Probably not a good idea for you to do a live service disconnect no matter how many degrees you have!

Time again to thank the big guy for not having a life in the big city!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

İ got a verbal OK from a city inspector in Charlotte, NC years back concerning connecting a gas dryer. When İ called for inspection upon completion İ was told that İ had to apply for a permit before starting - so much for the verbal OK.

İ pointed out to the guy on the line that İ hadn't mentioned my name so thanks for nothing & good bye! Didn't really want or need their inspection anyway.

Verbal OK's are fine - unless you need to use them.
  • Sheldon
    Options
    Each county can do what it wants as far as electrical in California. I tend to agree with the others that most home electrical can be permitted for the homeowner to complete and be inspected. Probably not a good idea for you to do a live service disconnect no matter how many degrees you have!

Time again to thank the big guy for not having a life in the big city!

Since I am way downstream of the service, its a matter of simply opening a two pole breaker at my shop panel for the grid tie in.

in Santa Clara County unincorporated area, lets just say that the inspector's the one who has to approve. I have a meeting with him tomorrow to go over the plan.

He's going to review grounding per Code sect 250 since its not specifically addressed for turbines. in #690.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Having been (in a previous life) a journeyman electrician in CA for 12 years...

A homeowner can act as their own contractor - that means pulling permits, doing the work, calling for inspections and whatnot.

This does not apply to *commercial* property, such as warehouses, factories or apartment buildings - ONLY licensed electricians can pull permits for commercial property.