What 200 amp service pannel to buy

gtxkid
gtxkid Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
I need to replace a 100 amp service in my home with a 200 amp.
Is there one that will work better with a solar application.

Square D Siemens ????????

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What 200 amp service pannel to buy

Square D QO breakers are dual rated AC/DC so are a good choice..

Search for QO and Circuit breaker on the forum, there are some good threads out there..

the more knowledgeable ones here can give you more tech info ...

HTH
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I assume that this is a 120/240 VAC service (US/North America)?

So--DC Ratings will not matter too much (by the way, Some SqD breakers are rated for DC use--but those DC voltages and interrupt current ratings are typically much less than AC).

If you are doing this for Grid Tied system--check with you utility to see if they require 1 or 2 utility meters--and if they have any other special requirements. Easier to plan ahead than to try and retrofit after the fact.

Also, since allowed GT system size is based on the size of the Breaker Panel--this will also affect the size of panel you will need (large GT system needs larger Main Panel).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

As for solar installation, (grid tie) any UL panel should be as "good" as any other. Personally I prefer Square D as well.

In an off grid situation, I also prefer Square D since they are the only readily available breakers that are DC rated (->48vdc).

In either off grid or grid tie, one should never mix ac and dc in the same box however.

Tony
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Not sure what you are trying to do here, you cannot mix AC and DC in the same panel. Since 200 amp panels are all rated for 120/240 VAC (or the European equivalent), being solar or not is irrelevant.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

What manf. do you have on the 100 amp box and how many breakers you can reuse and not have to buy new ones of another manf.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

If the panel is outside or has been wet even once, I would not reuse them. To save $20 or less a breaker to risk a fire is not worth in.
  • gtxkid
    gtxkid Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭

It is just a 120/240 VAC service in (US/North America).

It is indoor.

It is in a modular house.

Greg
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Personally, having done rather a lot of service entrance wiring, I still prefer good ol' General Electric:

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-51-breaker-box-200-amp.aspx

Most of the commonly used panels use the "GE-type" bus bar and breaker design, so breakers are (for the most part) interchangeable. For instance you can usually stick a GE breaker into a Seimens panel, or a Seimens breaker into a Square D panel, etc.

Square D "Homeline" is crap (or used to be - been at least a decade since I looked at them) since they use a proprietary bus bar and breaker setup that will ONLY work with their breakers. The non-Homeline Square D stuff is good though.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Also, since allowed GT system size is based on the size of the Breaker Panel--this will also affect the size of panel you will need (large GT system needs larger Main Panel).

-Bill

Line side taps for pure grid-tie are your friend.