Trojan T105 Batteries

Wilis
Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭
If anyone lives near Chattanooga Tn and is looking for T-105 plus Golf Cart batteries I purchased some today at Tennessee Golf Cars of Chattanooga. The price was $103.00 plus $15.00 core. I have not found a better price on the web. The sale person is Scott Lundeen. The address is 6134 Airways Blvd, Chattanooga, Tn 37421 and the phone is 423 899 0015. I am in no way connected to these people and will not receive any funds from your purchase. Wil

Comments

• mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Trojan T105 Batteries

holy cow thats a sweet deal. only if shipping was free... id buy a few. locally near NoVA its going for 150+25 core and up
  • moorsb
    moorsb Solar Expert Posts: 38

I found a deal on craigslist. T105 batteries $55.00 each you have to buy 6 at a time and once a week. They look brand new but have RB stamped on them. I have 18 and going to get more.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

moorsb,
    out of curiosity, why only once a week and why only 6 at a time?
  • moorsb

At first I thought they might be stolen. I then noticed all the labels were taken off. He told me he gets them from the factory. He used to work there and he gets a sweet deal. He was laid off and I guess this is a benefit they gave him. They look brand new and have current date code. There is a hot stamp on the battery RB rebuilt, He tells me they do not rebuild them, but sell him as such.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

They might be something like factory cosmetic defects.
  • moorsb

I got 6 more today. These looked used. He said they were returned to the factory and tested good. I think I am going to stop with 24 T105. I now plan to build the solar panels. I have 600 6x6 cells I got off ebay.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Get them, and keep them fully charged in the mean time. The silent killer of batteries is sitting partially charged for longer than a couple of days. It seems that you have ~2700ah of battery (@12 volts) If you were to use the standard rule of thumb you would want to charge this bank between 5-15% of that, a whopping 135-400 amps!

If you leave them as single 6 volts, you would want to get them fully charge, and float them somewhere around 5-10 amps (6vdc). 24 batteries is a lot of batteries. If you kept one on charge each day, you would have charged each battery once.

Tony
  • moorsb

I am planning on building a 12v system. You said I have 225ah X 12 = 2700 ah. If I only use 30% of the capacity or 800ah drain from the battery bank. Do I still need to charge with that much current?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

no matter what the level of use you want to recharge with ~ 3% min Amps (5 - 15 prefered) based on the batteries rating.. As Tony said, the danger is losing the batteries to sulphation...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • icarus

Do yourself a favour and read some or all of the following: http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

It is critically important that the batteries are kept fully charged while waiting to be used. Batteries have a self discharge rate of as much as 10% per month, more with older batteries. If you just warehouse them and wait for your system you will be left with lots of lead scrap metal.

The basic rule of thumb is to draw down the batteries down no more than ~20-50%, and get them 100% charged within three days. The mistake most people make is, drawing down to say 70%, then charging to 85% then drawing to 70% again, over and over again, never getting the batteries fully charged.

Tony
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Six eh? That's the number of batteries used in most golf carts.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats what I was thinking, but perhaps it's his target audience.

What he's saying has a ring of truth, to me. I'd guess they are batts that sat on the shelf for 3-4 months what ever Trojan allows and then returned, ones found in specs can't be sold as new but aren't really rebuilt...

Just my guess.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • moorsb

I have two microprocessor 12v 15amp chargers. I have charged each pair of batteries. My question is if they are not being used, should I just keep them in pairs and rotate the chargers or put them in 2 banks and keep the chargers plugged in and let the chargers keep a float charge on the banks
  • icarus

I would probably charge them in pairs. I think that 15 amps into ~ 1400 ah of battery is too little current. 15 amps into 225 amps is ~6%.

What I would be really concerned about is the quality of the charger. An automotive type charge is probably not a good thing to use to keep the batteries in the best shape. What you might begin to consider is, what you are going to do long term (after your Pv is up and running) to keep the batteries topped up in the event of no sun for a period.

Most off grid battery based systems require some sort of external charging now and again either from a genny or from the grid. Since you will probably need such a charging system going forward, consider doing your home work now, and get a proper line voltage charging system in place now. Then you will have it once your system is up and running.

Tony