Xantrex 1000W inverter 'Kaput'

thorsness
thorsness Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
While turning my inverter off, I got that familiar tingling feeling dancing on my fingertips, and a nice double shot when I touched the breaker panel with the other hand. Function seemed to be fine so I had my system guy hike in to our cabin. He put the voltmeter to the case and the inverter was energized enough to get a "Wow" out of him (I will ask him the number again). So we pulled it off line. Luckily I had the previous inverter mounted up and ready to be plugged in so we still had lights for the weekend.
This is not all bad since from reading your comments on efficiency I realized that the 1000W Xantrex was too big anyway, not very efficient (my mini-system uses no more than 150W if I have most of the lights and the kids' DVD player going all at once), and even though Xantrex says the fan is "thermal" controled, any load more than one 40W equivalent CFL bulb and the fan came on. It would then squeal obnoxiously on cold winter days before we got the cabin warmed up (I hung a Coleman lantern below to 'pre-heat' it).
I am looking at the Morningstar "Sure Sine" 300W inverter as a replacement. No cooling fan so no squealing when we come into the cabin at 0* F. And it looks like the right size and appears to have cleaner power than the Xantrex anyway.
Any thoughts?
Thanks. I always appreciate your advice.

JB

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex 1000W inverter 'Kaput'

From your post, I'm not sure if the squeal sound was from the fan, or a low battery alarm
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• thorsness

Thanks Mike.
    It was the fan since the batteries were charged up and it had that automotive type fan 'rubbing on something' aspect to it. Once I get the inverter warmed up it goes away. As for my two AGM batteries, it does take a day for them to get warm and perform well. But, the Honda generator is ready before then so we have lights (and of course there is always the Coleman lantern).

JB
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I wish all inverters had a big decal stating idle current, or parasitic load. I had some surprising results when I measured my various inverters: http://2manytoyz.com/noload.html

Overall efficiency is important, but if you're only periodically using the inverter (i.e. lighting), and leaving the inverter ON, the efficiency numbers don't mean much. The parasitic load can eat your lunch if you have a small solar array to replenish the energy being used.

I have a fairly efficient Prosine 1800 Watt inverter, but my cheap 400W Vector (MSW) inverter consumes 1/8th the energy when left on, but not in use.

So it depends on how you will use the inverter. If it's only powered when in use, worry about the efficiency numbers. If you leave it on the entire time you're there, better look at the parasitic (idle) current.

FWIW, I'm using the Vector 400W inverter to run CFL lighting in my living room, and another one for outdoor CFL lighting. No flicker or hum, work great. But there's a limit to the number of inductive loads (CFL lights) you can hang from one of these inverters before the inverter goes into shutdown. These don't like purely inductive loads, and the owners manual suggests hanging a resistive load on the string of lights to offset this. Someone on another forum put 10 CFL lights in a string, and the lights would start, shutdown, start, shutdown, over and over. The inverter wasn't overloaded, just didn't like the load. Just something to be aware of.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

By the way, the MorningStar Sure Sine 300 watt 12 volt inverter should make you very happy. Low standby current, pretty efficient, true sine wave output.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I wish all inverters had a big decal stating idle current, or parasitic load. I had some surprising results when I measured my various inverters: http://2manytoyz.com/noload.html

Overall efficiency is important, but if you're only periodically using the inverter (i.e. lighting), and leaving the inverter ON, the efficiency numbers don't mean much. The parasitic load can eat your lunch if you have a small solar array to replenish the energy being used.

I have a fairly efficient Prosine 1800 Watt inverter, but my cheap 400W Vector (MSW) inverter consumes 1/8th the energy when left on, but not in use.

So it depends on how you will use the inverter. If it's only powered when in use, worry about the efficiency numbers. If you leave it on the entire time you're there, better look at the parasitic (idle) current.

FWIW, I'm using the Vector 400W inverter to run CFL lighting in my living room, and another one for outdoor CFL lighting. No flicker or hum, work great. But there's a limit to the number of inductive loads (CFL lights) you can hang from one of these inverters before the inverter goes into shutdown. These don't like purely inductive loads, and the owners manual suggests hanging a resistive load on the string of lights to offset this. Someone on another forum put 10 CFL lights in a string, and the lights would start, shutdown, start, shutdown, over and over. The inverter wasn't overloaded, just didn't like the load. Just something to be aware of.

Could you put just idle Watts on your inverter idle site ??

BTW, what do you mean by "Watts per hour" and Watts per day ?

boB
  • thorsness

Friends,

Thanks for your comments. I spoke to my off-the-grid electricity guy and the Xantrex case was energized at 67.8 volts just before we unhooked it. Yikes. I assume that alone pulled substantial power (i.e. 67.8 volts?!) from my batteries even if I did not have any lights on.
    Looking forward to getting the Morningstar Sure Sine 300W online and I appreciate your comments on that inverter.

JB
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    thorsness wrote: »
    Friends,

Thanks for your comments. I spoke to my off-the-grid electricity guy and the Xantrex case was energized at 67.8 volts just before we unhooked it. Yikes. I assume that alone pulled substantial power (i.e. 67.8 volts?!) from my batteries even if I did not have any lights on.
    JB

Ooops ! I removed my comment. I just saw that it was the case that is at 67V (AC)
    Half the VAC basially. Yep, Kaput but "maybe" very easy to fix if it's just the output common mode filter and/or AC wiring, which can cause this kind of thing.

Sounds kinda like the AC Neutral is not tied to ground somewhere ... Ground Fault maybe ?

boB
  • benjamin
    benjamin Solar Expert Posts: 34

Did you ever find out where that voltage was coming from? I believe I measured a similar voltage on my Prosine 2.5. Also, the fans run almost constantly.
  • thorsness

Where did the time go?! I took the Xantrex back to Costco and they gave me a full refund, in cash. Nice.

I replaced it with the Morningstar Sur Sine 300W which is fantastic. No fan, no warm up, clean wattage. having replaced all the CFL bulbs with LED's, that little inverter is all I need. If I need to vacuum or run a bigger drill or saw, I just start my Honda EU2000i anyway.

Recently replaced my AGM's with 6V Silicon Salt batteries. So far, very happy. Their low temperature performance looks to be as advertised. There is a separate post on them.  Thanks to all.  JB