How about Energy saving Ideas and appliances

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can think of several appiances and Ideas which would fall into this catagory that either don't have a spot or are trying to fit in elsewhere.

Making a chest freezer into a full time fridge.

Increasing thermal mass to moderate temp changes in the home.

Do you know there is a 22" wide screen LCD TV that runs on 23 watts average!

If you only use a laptop plugged in should you leave the battery out?

What do you think of the new Kil-A-Watt meter?

Converting a bike to an Electric bike vs buying an Electric Bike.

Anyone try an electric Matress warmer? low draw compared to Electric Blanket.

Possible topics which might be hard to find a home for...
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How about Energy saving Ideas and appliances

most of that is coverable in energy use and conservation as that whole category was meant to address stuff like that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: How about Energy saving Ideas and appliances
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I can think of several appiances and Ideas which would fall into this catagory that either don't have a spot or are trying to fit in elsewhere.

Making a chest freezer into a full time fridge.
    See here:

Chest freezer as a chest refrigerator
    Increasing thermal mass to moderate temp changes in the home.
    See Home Power Magazine... They have quite a few articles on the subject in their archives (need to subscribe for full access).
    Do you know there is a 22" wide screen LCD TV that runs on 23 watts average!
    I have to wonder where LED projectors will be at the end of this year (light per $, overall power usage).

If you only use a laptop plugged in should you leave the battery out?
    If it is a NiMH or similar--I like to leave them in and let them run as a UPS... My 9+ year old laptop will still run 10-15 minutes on its old battery.

If it is a Li-Ion--the answer is probably to take it out when running on AC. At least that is what my HP NetBook I just bought says to do for long life...

Problem is that Li-Ion batteries store best when charged to around 50% capacity--and keeping them in the laptop that is normally running on AC power keeps them at 100% state of charge...

I am really disappointed with this.... I have not looked in detail to see if the state of charge is programmable--but I would be perfectly happy to keep my NetBook at 50% power (2-3 hours) for long life and UPS duty...
    What do you think of the new Kil-A-Watt meter?
    Which new meter? There is one that has been out for a while that has a backup battery in it (also does simple kWhr to $$ conversion). I would think that it is very nice to have for generators/inverter based systems where it is a pain to lose the readings with every power shutdown (needs A/C power to run the display).

There is a power strip kill-a-watt... Most of the time, I am more interested in one units worth of power--not sure a whole power strip worth of power interest me.
    Converting a bike to an Electric bike vs buying an Electric Bike.
    Sounds like a DYI vs Buy decision... Different solutions for different people.

If, you are looking at building your own Li-Ion battery pack/charger--I would probably stick with a well designed store-bought LI pack rather than make my own.
    Anyone try an electric Matress warmer? low draw compared to Electric Blanket.
    Always the issue of AC magnetic fields next to the body (if AC powered)...
    Possible topics which might be hard to find a home for...
    Can move the thread into Energy Conservation as Niel suggested.

The forum topics are just suggestions--what ever is easiest for people to find later and keep on topic.

Your multiple topics may each deserve their own threads -- if you intend to go into detail.

Or start out just like you did and start a second thread for those where you want to delve deeply into a topic.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset