Rain/Weatherproof Inverter

cswaite
cswaite Solar Expert Posts: 46
How can I Weatherproof my inverter. I want to move it outside (near batteries, but not in the battery cabinet). Wanting to screw it to the outside wall of the mobile home. There is about a 1 foot roof ledge over that wall, but im afraid with rain there will be wind that will blow the rain against the wall, even if there is that ledge.

I was thinking of screwing a small rubbermaid type container over it, but would prefer something not so ghetto, any ideas?

Am I correct to say that I should not have the battery bank and inverter in the same compartment?

If it helps any it is a 1200W inverter size L15.75''xW8.66''xH3.15''

Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Rain/Weatherproof Inverter

Build it a nice box. Maybe covered with enameled roofing so it looks like the side of the mobile. Give it a door for easy access. You really just have to keep it dry, as cool as possible, and vented. Bugs getting in might be a bigger problem outdoors. Lots of people have their inverters in sheds. Expensive solution: Outback makes sealed units for outdoor applications.

Yes it's probably best to give the batteries their own vented space to reduce the possibility of a spark igniting the vented hydrogen gas.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Re: Rain/Weatherproof Inverter

Are your batteries flooded/wet, sealed flooded/wet, gel, or AGM?

I have put 4 East Penn 8AGC2's under my bed, along with a 2KW inverter next to the propane water heater in a hard sided camper.

If you use wet/flooded batteries - Don't do like me!

K