Impatience

Options
solemio
solemio Registered Users Posts: 16
How long did it take from the point of signing your contract for a solar PV system to actual permission to use? We signed July 13th.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Impatience

For me, almost 3 months... Big part of the delay was a shortage of UV rated cable (3 years ago, wire and panels were in short supply). The building department, solar panels, and other parts came on time...

Maybe a week or so lost in labor scheduling by the contractor. Utility came out within a week to install meter (and promptly overcharged me $200 for 2 weeks of electricity when my monthly electric bill--before solar--had been $30--make sure you write down your meter reading before they change it out--our confusion was caused because when our system passed inspection, it was left on and the meter spun backwards while before the utility had set up our account for net metering and really confused the billing computer).

If everything was available, 3-6 weeks would be reasonable (from my limited experience). In states with rebates--you might have another 2-4 weeks of paperwork processing delay.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solemio
    Options
    Re: Time Table for Solar
    solemio wrote: »
    How long did it take from the point of signing your contract for a solar PV system to actual permission to use? We signed July 13th.

Hello out there, anyone!
  • BB.
    Options

I told you mine... How long did they tell you it would take? Did they break it out into stages (rebates, permits, installation, inspection, utility approval/meter change)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • foosman
    foosman Solar Expert Posts: 38
    Options

3 months...some installers in Austin are quoting 2+ month waiting periods to begin the install.
  • BB.
    Options

The installs are pretty quick. One person doing the conduit. Two people installing the rails and panels... Took more people and a longer time to strip and re-roof my asphalt shingle roof.

-Bill
  • solemio
    Options

We received a call already from PG&E regarding the new meter but we're still awaiting permits for the install.
  • solar4me
    solar4me Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

Probably depends a lot on where you are. Here in New York state, I signed my contract the last week of March and I am still waiting for state approval (NYSERDA) with no target date. :cry: (When I contacted NYSERDA a couple of weeks ago they just said that they appreciate my patience!)
  • solemio
    Options
    solar4me wrote: »
    Probably depends a lot on where you are. Here in New York state, I signed my contract the last week of March and I am still waiting for state approval (NYSERDA) with no target date. :cry: (When I contacted NYSERDA a couple of weeks ago they just said that they appreciate my patience!)

Are they so busy with the flood of solar installations or just a huge bureaucracy?
  • solar4me
    Options
    solemio wrote: »
    Are they so busy with the flood of solar installations or just a huge bureaucracy?

I suspect bureaucracy, but I really don't know for sure. Maybe it is related to the state's financial woes. Their website states that they will process applications within 30 business days, but that obviously is not happening.
  • solar4me
    Options
    I suspect bureaucracy, but I really don't know for sure. Maybe it is related to the states financial woes. Their website states that they will process applications within 30 business days, but that obviously is not happening.

Good news! New York State (NYSERDA) finally got around to approving my application (as of 8/21/2009)! Installation is now tentatively scheduled for the week of 9/28/2009. It might take a month after that for our electric company to give approval to go on-line. Patience is definitely required!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good news! New York State (NYSERDA) finally got around to approving my application (as of 8/21/2009)! Installation is now tentatively scheduled for the week of 9/28/2009. It might take a month after that for our electric company to give approval to go on-line. Patience is definitely required!

That's great! With any luck, you should be back-feeding the grid just in time for one of NY's famous winters full of sunless skies. :p Do you live anyplace near Watertown, where the daily lake-effect snowfall is measured in feet? :p

Oh well, think how nice it will be next summer. :D
  • solemio
    Options

We just got word that we are tentatively scheduled for September 23-27th... a little over two months after signing the contract.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

must be some kind of common denominator with the end of september.:confused:
  • solar4me
    Options
    That's great! With any luck, you should be back-feeding the grid just in time for one of NY's famous winters full of sunless skies. :p Do you live anyplace near Watertown, where the daily lake-effect snowfall is measured in feet? :p

Oh well, think how nice it will be next summer. :D

Fortunately I am about an hour and a half south of Watertown, so I am not in the daily lake-effect snow machine area. :D It is a bit sad that I won't see too much production for a while though.
  • solar4me
    Options

OK, I can finally give my complete time line for my system in upstate New York:

1) Signed the contract and wrote the first check: 3/26/2009
    2) NYSERDA received the incentive application from the installer: 4/20/2009
    3) NYSERDA finally got around to giving approval: 8/21/2009
    4) System installation: 3 days, 9/29/2009-10/1/2009
    5) Electrical inspection visit: 10/5/2009
    6) NYSEG replaced their meter: 10/19/2009
    7) NYSEG conducted final interconnection verification test: 10/23/2009
    8) System on-line! 10/23/2009

So, it took almost exactly 7 months from contract signing until the system was on-line. Of that, installation took 3 days. The rest of the time was waiting. (It was a good thing there were never any issues!)
  • niel
    Options

congrats on finally getting it. let us know how well it does for you too.
  • solar4me
    Options
    OK, I can finally give my complete time line for my system in upstate New York:

1) Signed the contract and wrote the first check: 3/26/2009
    2) NYSERDA received the incentive application from the installer: 4/20/2009
    3) NYSERDA finally got around to giving approval: 8/21/2009
    4) System installation: 3 days, 9/29/2009-10/1/2009
    5) Electrical inspection visit: 10/5/2009
    6) NYSEG replaced their meter: 10/19/2009
    7) NYSEG conducted final interconnection verification test: 10/23/2009
    8) System on-line! 10/23/2009

So, it took almost exactly 7 months from contract signing until the system was on-line. Of that, installation took 3 days. The rest of the time was waiting. (It was a good thing there were never any issues!)

Since my system has been online for 1 year as of today, time for a performance report:

System: (20) Sunpower SPR225 panels, Sunpower 5000m (rebranded SMA Sunnyboy 5000us) inverter, roof mounted at 25 degree roof angle, facing south.

Production: For the year, 5427 kWh (14.9 kWh/day average). (PVWATTS prediction 5051 kWh).
    Best month: July 2010: 714 kWh
    Worst month: December 2009: 177 kWh

Total consumption for the year: 5103 kWh (13.9 kWh/day average), so my system produced more than I used for the year.:D
  • niel
    Options

time flies doesn't it?:confused: thanks for the update on your system performance and i'm glad it's working good for you.