wiring order for batteries

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I have my first off grid PV system all wired and ready to go. Before I wire the batteries, is there a best, safest order to connect them? I have 4 parallel pairs. Do I connect the pairs first or all positives, then all negatives? Just trying to figure the safest method with the fewest sparks. I know, at least, to keep the main breaker open until the batteries are wired.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: wiring order for batteries

there would not be any difference in my opinion as any interconnected wiring of the batteries should not produce a spark if done correctly with no charge or load currents being present until it is wired and then turned on by you for charging and loads. that means shut of any pv power to the controller until the batteries are all wired up and a similar thing goes for any loads.
    the key to wiring it may be to have a diagram of how it should be that you can easily follow and see to be correct and then duplicate that with the batteries using the diagram as a guide.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

You should not wire each of the four strings in parallel without over current protection

Each of the banks should have there own fusing and or breakers
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

If I need fusing/breakers for each of the 4 pairs, then what's the most practical way to accomplish this? Would it be just in-line fuses right in the battery box between the strings?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

tape your tools up with electrical tape to reduce the opportunity, for shorts. Same with watches, rings, and other metal accoutrements that could short, arc-welding themselves and you, to a smoking battery bank.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,