USB to rs-323 cable for SS-MPPT

Options
cedarp
cedarp Registered Users Posts: 9
I was wondering if anyone out there, is using one of these cables for data logging with any success with the Morningstar Suresine inverter or SS-MPPT, and if so what brand?

I'm ready to get one but in searching around I've seen a lot of problems with driver, install issues with different types of equipment. Basically I would like to buy ONE and have it work;) I'd really like to use my laptop and not my desktop.

Thanks for any info.

Bill

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: USB to rs-323 cable for SS-MPPT

Any of the cheap ones I have used work fine ... check newegg out,

This looks like one that I have on the bench that work fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203018

Also, you do know that you have to get the Morningstar Adapter? neither Suresine or Sunsaver Mppt have direct connections for serial communications and only the Sunsaver Mppt has software for monitoring
  • cedarp
    cedarp Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks SG
    Yeah I have the adaptor for the MPPT, I'm thinking about getting the Suresine also, it's just when I looked around at cables I saw there had been problems with some devices working correctly, so I'd thought I'd get some advice. I'll go with what you suggest then I'll post back for other users info.

Thanks again

Bill
  • foosman
    foosman Solar Expert Posts: 38
    Options

I can't speak for the particular hardware you are using, but:
    The issue is that many of the cheaper USB to RS232 cables do not use level shifters. Many newer serial devices have less stringent levels than the specified RS232 standard which requires voltage swings in the -12 to +12V range. Without a level shifter the cables typically output in the 0-3.3V range or 0-5V range. This is technically not the correct level range. If you are not sure what you need you can go with something like the FTDI US232R-10 or US232R-100 (different cable lengths) cable (look at Digikey, Newark, etc). The cable is more expensive than the $10 jobs, but has proper RS232 levels (also cool LEDs when you transmit or receive data).