Can you do this?

AlbertWhite
AlbertWhite Registered Users Posts: 10
hopefully this doesn't sound goofy, but can you make a 240v Solar Panel with 240v Battery System?

Comments

• Quabillion
    Quabillion Registered Users Posts: 22
    Re: Can you do this?

Not goofy, just slightly confusing. :)

Are you meaning "A solar system that puts out 240VAC"?

Yes those do exist, but they are not made up of 240VAC panels or 240V batteries.

A set of DC panels are connected together and feed into a charge controller.
    The charge controller charges the batteries. The batteries may be set up for 12V, 24V, 36V, 48v, depending on the model of inverter.
    The inverter takes power from the batteries and produces 240VAC for your needs.

As long as you dont consume more than the panels can supply everything will be great.

I have heard of some panel mount micro inverters which do not use a battery, but have not seen or worked with one, so no comment on that.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    hopefully this doesn't sound goofy, but can you make a 240v Solar Panel with 240v Battery System?

taking this more literally i'll say that no you won't find a 240v pv as you'll need to get many pvs in series to come up with that voltage.
    as to the 240v battery system i'll say no again as controllers at present do not operate in the voltage range for charging a battery bank that high in voltage.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Actually--I will play devil's advocate...

There is nothing wrong with what you are asking for... You can put your solar panels in a series string and (legally in the US) get up to Voc = 600 VAC (*sqrt of 2 = 848 VDC)... Or, worst case Vmp of ~424 VDC (hot day)...

Now, there are few (if any) controllers that will manage the charge on that high of voltage battery bank. You can charge 48 volt chunks of them using ~5 of them across 48 volt chunks of batteries... You will get into a whole bunch of grounding and safety issues.

But, as the question always ends up--what do you want to do (how much power), where do you want to do it (how much sun), and how much do you want to spend, and why this way vs just a 240 VDC power supply running off of 120/240 VAC?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The question that isn't asked is why?

Anything is possible,, you could string panels together up to the max series string to get to 240 vdc.

You COULD also string batteries together in series ad infinitum to get what ever voltage you wish. Why you would wish to do so remains a mystery.

(My guess is you wish to run some 240 loads without an inverter)

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

true, none of us asked the $64000 question of why, but if you're right and he thinks he can run 240vac appliances with a 240vdc battery bank he better think again as it won't work.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    true, none of us asked the $64000 question of why, but if you're right and he thinks he can run 240vac appliances with a 240vdc battery bank he better think again as it won't work.

Water heaters work fine :)

Just have to replace the thermostat a lot.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Water heaters work just fine on 12vdc or 120vdc as well!

T
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    BB. wrote: »
    what do you want to do ... and why this way ...?

-Bill

Hmmmm.... :roll:

-Bill "again" B...
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi there one more point. the safety break switch is or very expensive and not manual or you replace it every few times. the arcing will eat all the copper. Think about welding 60 V 40A and your melting steel.

Safety is one more anything above 50V dc do not touch the current will keep on going and burn you. 240 V AC hurts but only when you have a bad health you have problem.

I worked on a submarine and tested the battery banks before hand over and until and of warranty one bank wash a nice 4000AH 480V yes 960 pcs 1000Ah 2v.
    The safety break switch for every string wash the same size as the battery cell. and a motor driven spring plus magnets where used to disconnect fast and safe.
    My point anything above 48 V battery is asking for Murphy.

Special for home safety must be first place.

Greetings from Greece