Solar Panel recycling

Options
EnergySense
EnergySense Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey yall, a newbie here. Does anyone know:

1) After how many years since installation it's wise to replace the panels and recycle the old ones?
2) How does one properly dispose of / recycle the old panels?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most are actually most types in most areas, not considered hazardous waste and can go into the landfill. There are a couple recycling centers starting for solar panels in the US. At very least the aluminum can be recycled.

Note that most thin film solar panels do have some Gallium Arsenide, Copper and Selenium which may be hazardous though Europe Rohs(?) considers them well incapsulated and may be allowed.

When to replace/ recycle is up to you... They just lose a bit of efficency each year but have long lives. I have 1 - 40 year old panel (i passed along 2 of the 3 I had for display at solar installers) that still runs a water pump for moving water from my rain catchment to the garden/lawn. Here it is 4-5 years ago running a water pump for a hydroponic garden.

It has really fancy junction box on the back!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • EnergySense
    EnergySense Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Photowhit said:
    Most are actually most types in most areas, not considered hazardous waste and can go into the landfill. There are a couple recycling centers starting for solar panels in the US. At very least the aluminum can be recycled.

Note that most thin film solar panels do have some Gallium Arsenide, Copper and Selenium which may be hazardous though Europe Rohs(?) considers them well incapsulated and may be allowed.

When to replace/ recycle is up to you... They just lose a bit of efficency each year but have long lives. I have 1 - 40 year old panel (i passed along 2 of the 3 I had for display at solar installers) that still runs a water pump for moving water from my rain catchment to the garden/lawn. Here it is 4-5 years ago running a water pump for a hydroponic garden.

It has really fancy junction box on the back!

Thank you for the info! Your garden looks lovely. I dream of having one just like it some day