40 or 50 gallon gas tank heater (no standing pilot) need replacement

Options
Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
A friend is looking to replace a tank water heater without standing pilot. The old model was an AO Smith and it has a 120 power cord to ignite the gas.
I did some searching but not easily finding the replacement. Below is the link to the model no longer available at a Lowes. Any help is appreciated as I have to leave for a few days. Thank-you!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Signature-Premier-40-Gallon-Tall-12-Year-Limited-Natural-Gas-Water-Heater/1000213217

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm no expert but I do know that very similar height makes the replacement go much smoother. My guess is that most do not need a 120V power supply to ignite things. They have a built in sparker for the pilot light. I would think youtube may prove a good source of info. 

Yellow teflon tape is for gas. It is thicker than the white tape. I have not done it myself, just helped. These things make me nervous. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I am waiting for AO smith to get back. I am asking for exactly what is in my post. If you do not have info please do not post. It often is not helpful in getting the answer to the question. Thx!

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    edited August 2023 #4
    Options
    It looks like that water heater may be available outside of California...
    I plugged in Reno NV and it said i could pickup at Lowe's around August 31.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am waiting for AO smith to get back. I am asking for exactly what is in my post. If you do not have info please do not post. It often is not helpful in getting the answer to the question. Thx!
    In turn I would ask you not to volunteer your insights to my questions. I can't recall you ever really helping.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Thanks Bill that was it. They added a California Lowes and it got stuck in a loop.  They also added an "r" to the number. 

• DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The power vent water heaters such as this one.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-40-Gal-Tall-6-Year-36-000-BTU-Liquid-Propane-Power-Vent-Tank-Water-Heater-XP40T06PV36U0/204318425

use 120 volt to ignite the gas and force the combustion gases out.

I like to put these units on a timer, thus they do not run at night or any other time of your selection.  I run mine only during the day when the sun is shining.  I also have it plumbed to a Nyle heat pump system and also on a timer.  Very efficient system and they act as backup for each other.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Thanks Dan. a Nice option for one needing the power vent.