"New" Duracell golf cart batteries showing 6.2 volts?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭
Sam's Club inventory. By the way they still offered GC batteries with a 2022 manufacturing date. Of course I grabbed the ones with a 8/23 sticker on them. Surprised to find they only had 6.2 volts.

Does anybody know why this might be? That would seem to be close to the level that sulfation becomes problematic ~ 6.1 volts. Per my understanding.

Though a lot of things have been topsy turvy since covid hit. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    I have not seen a battery charger anywhere in a Costco tire/battery centers... I think they just don't care. And are not really setup to run/cycle battery chargers on 100's of batteries a month (some new, some setting around for a couple months).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Batteries made in 8/23 should show more than 6.2 volts? I would think the much older batteries are already sulfating. Sams Club by the way.

I've never seen old batteries offered by Costco. Though I have read that Interstate has been known to pick up older batteries, recharge them, and slap on a newer sticker. Bad but better than simply selling batteries that have sat there for ~ 8 months or so. 

Keeping the batteries charged would be an onerous chore unless they developed a solid system. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember that you talking about one of the cheapest GC2 batteries available. What lifespan do you really expect from those batteries?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    Much better than the 8Ds I stupidly started with. Interesting finding though. The Energizers were often either good or bad. The Duracell 8Ds are more uniform but never good. At any rate, the common 8D is a very, very poor solar battery. 

I was just barely able to get my cell phone service turned back on. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    softdown said:
    Much better than the 8Ds I stupidly started with. Interesting finding though. The Energizers were often either good or bad. The Duracell 8Ds are more uniform but never good. At any rate, the common 8D is a very, very poor solar battery. 

I was just barely able to get my cell phone service turned back on. 

There are only a handful of true deep cycle 8Ds out there. They are still being heavily used in bus-style motorcoaches and mobile industrial rigs. Typical for the larger coaches is 4-6 of them, and big custom entertainer coaches have 8-16 of the 8Ds to support two 24v, 3000-watt inverters. It has always amazed me to see 30-48kWH battery banks running around on wheels. But I don't hate selling replacements every 7-9 years!
  • softdown
    Options
    There also may come a time when an ~ 170lb battery becomes pretty difficult.

Replaced a battery yesterday and somehow "locked up" the charging system. I thought it was the wildfire smoke and cloud cover that kept the bank from being charged, So - it can happen. Just had to reset the inverter. 
  • Marc Kurth
    edited August 2023 #8
    Options
    Four years ago I had no problem lifting 8Ds into the back of a customer's truck. Then I got fat and lazy after only drop shipping starting in the early Covid days. Now I would be lucky to get one up above my knees but I can drag them onto a pallet!! :D It's a forklift time for me.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe Costco does not have them where you are Bill but I think you are a bit short of being right. They sell battery chargers in other parts of the store and not in the Auto shop area. Stores are always relocating inventory and chargers should be in the auto section.

I am a big fan of Costco and have been to many.  One of the lesser reasons we nixed Texas was they do not sell adult beverages in the stores. Same as Oregon only one in Portland,. 

The Carson City Costco does have chargers in the auto/battery section BTW.  A fun 20 minute drive.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Options
    I think BB was saying that they don't charge the batteries for sale?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    My intent was to say I did not see any banks of battery chargers in the Tire Center to keep the batteries "fresh".

Yes, I have purchased a few random battery chargers (mostly "float type") over the years from Costco.

-Bill "not speaking for or working at Costco" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The batteries are dated monthly. Do not mix dates of charge or manufacture. I only buy car batteries there so I really do not know about the others.
    I only speak for them when they do good things, which is often. I hear it is a very good place to work.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Options
    Yep, when something goes wrong it is always best to simply replace everything. 100%.