Need assistance

Options
BarryFields
BarryFields Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
This is a tough post for me. I only have a couple of years left on this earth due to cancer issues.
I do have some ideas for improving solar collection efficiency, I have implemented one which has improved my collection numbers by approximately 30%.
I have approached Midnight Solar, Outback Power and Schneider for no response. Probably the not invented here syndrome. I hesitate to post the ideas publicly as I am sure the CCP peruses everything.
I want nothing but to "leave something behind".
What I have implemented is somewhat brute force and would be better handled with an MCU. External input always yields better results.

So, I am looking for someone or group interested and talented enough to evaluate and probably expand/implement my ideas in an offline setting.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Barry, I am so sorry to read about your health.

Not directly solar, but this forum does have a lot of technical folks, and people that have discussed and made products based on their posts here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/

This forum is more directed towards flashlights/portable lighting--But if they cannot help directly, they may be able to direct you elsewhere....

Another forum to search for may be DIY electric car forums... Already dealing with high power devices (charging, motor controllers, etc.)... And I am sure that solar comes up often too.

Sincerely,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BarryFields
    Options
    I can share some basic info to pique some interest. Maybe there is more talent here than suspected.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While introducing a load once you reach the absorb point will drop the voltage/current flow back to absorb, it truly isn't passing any more current into the battery, just using the available current from the array in a different manner.

Midnite Classic has long had the ability to monitor and start loads once a battery reaches a certain voltage point. Other will start 'opportunity loads' once a battery reaches a certain point in charging. I use to have a minimal system and ran a window air conditioner on 4 golf cart batteries. Typically running the system down to 30% SOC overnight. I added to the array until it was around 1600 watts so that I could start the window air conditioner (430 watts) once the system reached the absorb point. I could still fully charge the battery but also run the air conditioner. 

With my current system, I will run my water heater as an opportunity load with support from the array.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BarryFields
    Options
    Photowhit  Thanks so much for the input. It appears that I am reinventing the wheel. My only hope might be to make it a little rounder.
  • BarryFields
    Options
    Do you see a market for a stand alone mcu unit that would enable "waste not" functionality to any system?