Solar light keep very short period

Options
kalee
kalee Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
Hi there,

I am new to setup solar system.
I have problem on my solar light.
The problem :  I use a very simple LED table lamp for reading + 12 V  battery + solar panel + solar controller (a cheap one USD10) in my outdoor shed.  But the LED lamp can last just for 1-2 hours and then off even the battery is fully charged. 

what happen to my solar system ?  is it happen on the cheap solar controller?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like your battery has lost capacity.
    How long have you used this setup and what type of chemistry/battery do you have? Lithium, SLA (sealed lead acid), flooded lead acid...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kalee
    kalee Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Options
    SLA battery. It should be ok. Anyway,  I try to charge it full again and if it happens again.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you have the light connected to the load terminals on the charge controller? If so you probably have the timer set to a couple hours. You should be able to adjust for "on 24 hours" and switch the light on/off as needed.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Can you use a volt meter to measure the 12 VDC voltages at the battery terminals, the LED light DC input, etc.?

Note that a Lead Acid battery can run from 10.5 VDC to 15-16 VDC depending on state of charge, charging conditions, and battery temperature (as Lead Acid batteries get cold, the charging voltage increases).

Many "12 volt" appliances do not "like" running much above 14.2 or 14.4 VDC (typical maximum automobile charging voltage) and we have seen the "12 volt" power supply "bricks" and other appliances fail because of >14.4 volts or so during charging.

It is a bit unclear--What is "turning off" the LED light? The solar charge controller (light connected to "LOAD Terminals" on charge controller)? Or the lamp/power supply failing? Or what.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset