Might have blown fuses

hillsidehillside Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭
...on the Samlex PST 3000-24..I turned it off a couple of nights ago as it had been 2-3 cloudy days in succession, after disconnecting the full size refrigerator (the only thing we'd been using it for)..I had done that a couple of days prior and had no problem.
(This install has been operating for 7 months perfectly.)

Next morning, with no load on (frig connected to municipal power) I turned the inverter back on and...nothing. Voltage from the panels to the batts. is there but inverter has no power. 
Then today I was checking the breaker in the red pos. cable to the inverter and it is open at either setting, that is, power feeds to the inverter in either position. It is like this: 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281449588568
Someone here had recommended a quick blow fuse but I couldn't find one anywhere. Out of stock here as well. So I went with the circuit breaker, which takes 2-10 seconds to trip according to the company.

So I just ordered a new Cotek 2500W inverter from the store here in case this Samlex cannot be fixed. 

In our downstairs room we have had a Cotek 3000 W operating for a few years and the installer at the time used a 300A car stereo type fuse/breaker and with the same batteries, etc. and it has never had a problem.

What should I use for a fuse? Is 200 Amps enough? (4- 370AH L16's)

8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
4 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
2- 450 Watt Phonosolar panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controller/ Samlex 3000W Inverter.
Honda EU3000W generator for backup.

Comments

• hillsidehillside Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭
    First time I've never gotten a reply...
    It appears there are as many as 8 or 9 20 amp automotive type fuses inside this inverter, and they're soldered to the board.
    How difficult would it be to open it up and replace them?
    8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
    4 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
    2- 450 Watt Phonosolar panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controller/ Samlex 3000W Inverter.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 32,923 admin
    The first question is why did the fuses blow... Typically, there is an internal fault in the control hardware for the H bridge transistors. A typical failure is the drive electronics turn on the "wrong pair" of transistors at the same time and create a dead short across the battery bus--blowing the fuses.

Just changing DC bus fuses won't fix that.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5 #4
    Not saying the breaker is the problem but are you sure you want to trust all your equipment as well as the structure it is housed in to an $8.00,  200 amp breaker?  Get a T-class fuse or heavy duty DC rated breaker.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• hillsidehillside Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I couldn't find the T class 200A fast blow fuse anywhere, even here.
    Finally located one at Platt Electric and will put it in today. A friend has a similar setup with no fuse at all and has no problems, go figure.