Trace SW5548- Question about wiring AC side of the inverter

Options
showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I now have my two Trace SW5548's mounted on the power panel along with the AC and DC disconnect boxes and the two Classic 150 cc's. I've rewired a lot of the disconnects wiring and added what was needed for the second inverter. But I'm kind of stumped here. I need to know exactly where the wires going to the AC Disconnect originate from in the inverter. I'm pretty sure I know, but I want verification of what terminals the 3 wires from the AC disconnect use when hooking up to the inverters. I've read the inverter manual, the power panel manual, the AC and DC disconnect manuals, and i'm not finding it. In the inverter manual (these are original Trace Engineering inverters, not Trace/Xantrex. (The certificate that came with each one is dated June 1999) The inverter manual even shows the location of the DR series inverters wiring, but doesn't show anything but the conduit running between the inverters on the SW's. Here's what I'm looking at with this- (what I'm seeing is that i have 3 wires coming off the AC disconnect that are from the inverter-a hot (red), hot(?) (black) and neutral (white). This is all in the manual in the diagrams on the AC Disconnect wiring chart. In the picture,the top connection which is for grid tie-in, won't be used, since we'll be off grid. The second connection is marked AC Hot IN 2 (Generator IN). This is confusing, since the generator ties in to the system in the AC disconnect box which has the by-pass breakers. I can understand the AC HOT OUT and NEUTRAL OUT feeding the disconnect box, which feeds the sub panel and all my AC loads, but I'm not getting how the black will fit in to this. Also, with the inverter controlling the generator use, how is the generator controlled (what wires)? I'm seeing in the manual something about the generator also needing to run through the spade connectors underneath these 6 gauge connectors, which are marked RY 7-10, with a set of pins showing normally open, normally closed and common.  I guess those are for the generator controls? If anyone has knowledge of how this is suppose to be wired or if you have a pic of yours, let me know. Thanks, Lee

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lee, I'll give you a call later this eve.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• showme
    showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited August 2022 #3
    Options
    Ok, after talking to Littleharbor2 today, I need to correct something. There is no ground running between the inverters and the AC Disconnect box. I've been running so much wiring on the panel that I was thinking I'd run all four to this spot, too, but after talking to MIke and re-checking the manual (the panel and wiring is 32 miles away from home), I see there are only the two hot legs and a neutral for each inverter. Also, I called the black wire a common, which is what I, in my ignorance of some electrical work, usually call the second hot leg from a system. Oops. But there are 3 wires running from the inverters to the AC disconnect. Thanks, Mike!

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.