pump distance below static water level

andyrud
andyrud Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭
My well recovers greater than 30GPM.  I am going to pump 5GPM.  The well is 300 feet deep but the static water level is 85 feet from surface.  What level below the static level should the pump be set?  It seems to me that the seals on the pump would be tested more if the pump was close to the bottom.  Where should I place the pump level at using these numbers?

Thanks in advance,
Andy R

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    What brand/model of pump do you have?

In times pasts, I have seen a maximum water depth in some specifications.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andyrud
    BB. said:
    What brand/model of pump do you have?

In times pasts, I have seen a maximum water depth in some specifications.

-Bill
    I am leaning toward purchasing the RPS Solar pump kit, model RPS 400.  My previous post asked if anybody had any opinions of these pump kits.
  • mike_s
    mike_s Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Why don't you simply call them and ask what the maximum underwater depth is? Make sure they understand you're not asking about the maximum head.
  • BB.
    I took a quick look around and could not find that specification....

A quick call to their 800 number should give you an answer.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andyrud
    mike_s said:
    Why don't you simply call them and ask what the maximum underwater depth is? Make sure they understand you're not asking about the maximum head.
    It's more of a question asking if you are using any manufacturer's pump.  Is there a logical level to place the pump given the above numbers?  My well guy said to put it 20 feet from bottom of well.  That seems to me it puts more pressure on the pump seals than it would if the pump was say at 15 feet below the static water level since only 5gpm will be pumped and the well produces 30 gpm.  I am not sure what pump I am going to use.  I am in the exploring faze right now.  

• BB.
    No well expert, but how far down was the water in the well when pumping 30 gmp?

Besides how deep the water level goes when pumping (5 gmp or whatever), you have variations in level during seasons, total water pumping per day, droughts, and when your new next door tenant/neighbor is a pot farm.

Friend of a friend's well went dry when a pot farm moved in and started serious pumping. New/second well went dry and having to drill deeper.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....

-Bill
  • andyrud
    BB. said:
    No well expert, but how far down was the water in the well when pumping 30 gmp?

Besides how deep the water level goes when pumping (5 gmp or whatever), you have variations in level during seasons, total water pumping per day, droughts, and when your new next door tenant/neighbor is a pot farm.

Friend of a friend's well went dry when a pot farm moved in and started serious pumping. New/second well went dry and having to drill deeper.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....

-Bill
    GREAT points!  That is why I asked the question.  I guess I will put the pump 20 feet from the bottom as the well driller suggested.

Thanks Bill and all for the info,
    Andy R
  • BB.
    You are very welcome Andy.

You still need to know how deep below the water surface the mother and pump can be installed. You are probably correct in needing to know the maximum depth so the seals and gaskets don't fail (from over preassure).

-Bill
  • andyrud
    BB. said:
    You are very welcome Andy.

You still need to know how deep below the water surface the mother and pump can be installed. You are probably correct in needing to know the maximum depth so the seals and gaskets don't fail (from over preassure).

-Bill
    I contacted RPS Solar Pump Co.  and they said the pump should not go more than 40 to 50 feet below the static water level.  So, my well is 300 feet deep, the static water level is now at 75 feet, so the pump will be installed around 115 feet or so.  

Andy
  • Rockpile
    Rockpile Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    I have basically the same depth well and considering a RPS 400 pump. My static level is 85. How did this work out for you Andy?

• signjack
    signjack Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have a solar 1/4hp 24 vdc pump at 70 feet in my well and a 2 hp pump at 220'. upper runs on 2 solar panels for 14k gallons fire suppression and bottom for pressure tank and potable water. Bottom pump also on solar at 220vac.