Question about equalization for FLA

Options
bgu1982
bgu1982 Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
I noticed a setting on my app for my mppt controller. It says force equalize. I know it beneficial but how often should it be done?
 Thank you

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read your battery manual.

30 days is typical for flooded lead antimony batteries.

Most suggest a commissioning equalizing when you first setup.

Some have very different voltages, I think Rolls is very high voltage 64 volts on a 48 volt system but read your battery manual! Often inexpensive and even quality inverters with Rolls, will be at the edge of their normal gambit range.

I think you have the marine batteries, I'm not sure you should equalize lead calcium batteries. Some 20 year 'float' batteries are lead calcium. Float batteries are used for long term backup for telecommunications and other services. Lead Calcium batteries are used because they can live comfortable in float for years but have very few cycles to low discharge. Often replaced after a catastrophic failure requiring their use.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bgu1982
    Options
    I'm not seeing anything that says my durecell 31 dcx marine deep cycle batteries are lead calcium. It says lead calcium batteries cannot be discharged below 25% of total capacity. My batteries say they are made for deep cycling.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    bgu1982 said:
    I'm not seeing anything that says my durecell 31 dcx marine deep cycle batteries are lead calcium. It says lead calcium batteries cannot be discharged below 25% of total capacity. My batteries say they are made for deep cycling.
    Who is 'it?

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bgu1982
    edited July 2022 #5
    Options
    A site I looked up describing lead calcium batteries. The site also said they need to be charged at a higher rate but my mppt controller set to FLA charged three of those batteries to 100% 
    "

More technoluxpro.com/en/: https://technoluxpro.com/en/akkumulyatory/avtomobilnye/kaltsievye.html it will not be possible to restore the capacity of a calcium battery to 100%. For high-quality charging, voltage is required in the range of 16 - 16.5 V

"An AGM battery can achieve a discharge level of up to 50% whereas a lead-calcium battery cannot be discharged beyond 25% of its rated capacity."
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Looks like Sam's club sells these, did you check the reviews?

Duracell Marine Deep Cycle Battery, Group size 31 - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

I'm just working from my experience. Perhaps others will join me. It's hard to give somewhat bad news, but it is what it is, MANY so called deep cycle Marine batteries sold as Deep Cycle or Dual Purpose are Lead calcium.

Here's an example from West Marine;

WEST MARINE Deep Cycle Flooded Marine Battery, 90 Amp Hours, Group 27 | West Marine
  • bgu1982
    edited July 2022 #7
    Options
    Ya I checked the reviews. But I gotta figure alot of those people probably don't know how to properly take care of and maintain them. I'll never drop below 50% dod .we'll see. I can't afford more expensive since we just purchased a ecoflow delta pro plus panels.theres $4000 right there  So these sam's club batteries are more of a side thing. Just a little extra power ,you know what I'm saying?

I just wish I knew for sure if those batteries were the lead calcium so I'd know how to properly use them.
  • bgu1982
    Options
    From what I read the lead calcium batteries are great for some things but not for deep cycling. Should I call the manufacturer? I can find no info anywhere about the internal make up of these batteries.
  • bgu1982
    Options
    Hey those batteries you put up a link to had pretty good reviews.