Anybody know what kind of PV connectors these are? I need one.

Options
showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've got (5) USA-made Evergreen Solar 120w panels that I'm setting up to run our well pump (Grundfos SQFlex 6 through a Grundfoss CU200 Controller), and I've got a problem. The MC connectors on these older panels aren't like the ones I've been using to put our system together with. I first bought some Bouge RV fittings, which I didn't use because my panels (LG Neon 2's) have Staubli MC4's, so I bought some Staubli's for that. But I'm not finding any of these MC- apparently made by the RP company, since it's stamped on the fittings, too.

The Evergreen's connectors look more like heavy duty RC connectors. The problem is with my home run lines. My positive is close enough to just wire direct, but I'd have to cut off the + connector to tie it into the control box. On the negative side, I can run a jumper into the box for the long run to the last module, but If I don't find a fitting for that end, I'll end up cutting off the original and installing MC4 connectors. I don't really want to cut off any connectors since this is a temporary set up until we get our house built and the main PV/wind system up and running. I've got 3 more of these panels for a total of 8 (960w), and I'd like to keep them 'as is' because i'll probably find a place for them later. Actually, if we install a mini-split combo for daytime AC, these are what I intended to use for that. If possible, I'd rather just find another set of male and female MC connectors like these and make jumpers to the box, which I could use later with the full series of 8, too. I'm posting a couple of pics. Anybody with any information on these (or if anybody has a set of them they'd sell me?), I'd really appreciate it. I've searched for the last half our and the best I could come up with is an old web page on Inifigi's site which gives the panels' specs, but they are discontinued. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are MC3 connectors.

If you will be inspected, you need a 'clamshell' to go over them as the changed the code and require locking connectors. They are perfectly fine without them. I think they required the locking feature after issues with early roof tiles.

The Evergreen Cedar panels are good panels, I built an early system with them. Later selling to friends for their cabin, still working nicely at 18 years old!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • showme
    Options
    Thanks, Photowit. They won't be inspected. It's on 43 acres in the middle of southeast Missouri's Ozarks, and the county it's in doesn't even do building inspections. But what I need to know is where I can get a set of them to avoid hacking up the original module fittings. Any idea of where that might be?

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    They look like MC3 connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/Xennos-10Pairs-Connector-Solar-connect/dp/B07MMWHBCY (one pair)
    https://www.amazon.com/MISOL-Connector-certification-photovoltaic-connector/dp/B00ARAI1LS/?th=1 (10 pair)

But if you are going to crimp up your own cables anyway--Might as well cut of the old style connector(s) and use the newer (and supposedly better water proofing) locking MC4 or other solar connectors (get the tools needed to disconnect to make things easier).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    showme said:
    Thanks, Photowit. They won't be inspected. It's on 43 acres in the middle of southeast Missouri's Ozarks, and the county it's in doesn't even do building inspections. But what I need to know is where I can get a set of them to avoid hacking up the original module fittings. Any idea of where that might be?
    I figured if you knew what to look for, you'd be able to find them. Bill provided a couple links, and a good suggestion. I didn't have any issue with MC3 connectors. Suspect the 'O' rings provide a better waterproof seal, but I didn't have a problem with them in the 8 years I had the system. The friends I sold them to haven't said anything about problems. If the wires were more exposed it might create more issues. I always clip the wires up underneath the panels.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • showme
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I actually tried to order some of the MC3's after you all identified them for me, but one place on amazon was going to take too long to get them and the other place's ordering page was messed up. So I decided to just go ahead and use the two sets of MC4's I had on hand to get it up and running. Unfortunately, as I was cutting the lines to splice, the two wires coming out of one of the panels were crossed behind a 2x4 on the temporary rack I built, and I cut the wrong wire (positive instead of negative), and I had to use one of the old female MC3's to jerry-rig it back to use it. I'm out of MC4's now, but I'm ordering enough to change out the whole of the 5 panels I have up for this job, plus the other three we have stored for later use. That splice isn't pretty (cut the wires back about 3/4" and connected them with a wire nut and tape), but there's a solid connection, and it won't be long until I come back and install the rest of the MC4's. The idea of cutting in new MC3's wasn't too appealing when I found I'd need a different tool for splicing them in. And the place that had 10' jumpers with the two fittings I needed just wasn't working (or communicating with me), so the new Staubli's will do just fine. Thanks again! Lee