Need to replace my Trojan L-16RE-B batteries (off grid 48volt system)

Options
Panahead
Panahead Registered Users Posts: 4
I could use some advice… I have a 48 V system off grid with 2 strings of 8 Trojan L 16RE-B batteries… they're pushing nine years old and need to be replaced… It seems that the Trojans are backordered for months right now… I'm looking for the best replacement battery that I can find… I have a custom built battery box… And would rather not try to change all of the connectors and rebuild the battery box… So looking for something that would fit in the box... the same size as a L16's… And same connectors… Does anyone have any good recommendations for me? hoping for similar or better amp hours and cycle life... etc... Thanks in advance

PS.. I looked into the Fullriver AGM DC400-6 but saw that the cycle life with a 40% discharge (DOD) was aprx. 1,200 cycles? (and 1,500 at 30% DOD)

and the Trojan L16RE-B look like they have 2,000 cycles... (and 2,700 at 30% DOD)
Off Grid - 12 x 250 watt panels, Outback MX 60 charge controller. Outback SFX 3648 inverter, 48 volt system with 2 strings of 8 x 6 volt Trojan L16RE-B batteries

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nearly any L16 floor scrubber batteries should work.  there are many optional terminal types, just order the right one.   L16 is a case size, the better battery will have slighter higher ah rating, and maybe just use 8 to hold you over till the desired ones are available.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Panahead
    Options
    Thanks Mike... I will look into them... I kinda need the both strings as we are off grid and it's winter time.. (I'm on the coast in central Calif.) just trying to find the best performance... best price.. etc.. that will fit in my existing battery box..
    Off Grid - 12 x 250 watt panels, Outback MX 60 charge controller. Outback SFX 3648 inverter, 48 volt system with 2 strings of 8 x 6 volt Trojan L16RE-B batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 #4
    Options
    Hey, Panahead - where on the Central Coast? We lived in Morro Bay for 10 years.
    Have you looked into the Rolls Surrette S6 L16-HC?  Their ratings are comparable to the Trojan offering, Many batteries are very hard to get right now, but I would think that you could get the Rolls in about 30-45 days.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Panahead
    Options
    Thanks Marc... I will definitely look into them! We live on then coast of Big Sur... about 3 miles up a steep dirt road... very sweet spot!
  • Panahead
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Marc... the Rolls have great specs... the beefier S6 L16 - SC looks to be backordered for a long time also... but the HC model looks like it might be available mid March?