Critical step when hooking up new inverter?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
I have cooked panels and, I suspect, a charge controller by improper procedure and I tend to be somewhat cautious. Hooking up solar has to done precisely or losses can be painful. Having said that - what is the most important item when hooking up the new inverter?

Looks like it may show up today. Shipping weight is 75 pounds and it is mounted vertically. Will literally have my hands full.

With so much on the line I hired a pro for the final hook up the first time. Took him less than an hour to check everything and hook it up, Basically has not been changed since. Worked perfectly until last week.

I have since done a couple systems and I have also made a mistake or two. I must do this right today. Memories are now old - been concentrating on everything but solar for quite awhile now. Fixed some houses and started a new business.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Another look shows it is "In transit" rather than "out for delivery". Fine I guess- have the gensets figured out now. Found a great series of 1001 youtube videos done by an arborist/tree surgeon with 49 years of experience. The fact that I won't climb real high and cut will hold me back. But I bought a 35' bucket truck and a 60' bucket truck for that. Do like my toys though I might sell one. Keeps me on the go with maintenance.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swapping out the inverter on the flex power one is straightforward . 
     Be carful the Capacitors Are still loaded with juice. 
      I’m not sure how to bleed the power off ? 
       I was in my inverter yesterday hooking up  a well pump thru the breaker on the side of the inverter and was looking at things because of your post 
     I use a fp1 system . 
      It looks like you have 3 wires and 4 bolts to deal with . 
     It is very tight in the case .
     There is a quick start guide under the inverter  pic listed in aws store . 
     If you bought from aws you can get a product engineer on the phone and have him walk you thru the process , Logan is excellent the guy is full of good information . 
     Make sure your battery banks are close in voltage .
      I think you can just hook it up and power it on . 
      I think the system will just start up and run , im sure you will need to check the settings in the mate and maybe do a up date 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    For bleeding off stored energy... A 120 VAC 45-100 Watt filament bulb in a socket with wiring+clips works pretty nicely and is cheap.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Now "out for delivery". Thinking I hook everything up before delivery of power from the panels and the batteries. Going from foggy memories.
  • BB.
    Options
    You have a breaker on the positive dc power lead to inverter?

Connect dc side up, checking voltage polarity. Then flip breaker or connect plus lead. You will see some sparks as capacitors in inverter charge.

Reversing polarity on dc power, ready to do and can ruin inverter.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    I have a disconnect panel between the panels and inverter.

Reversing polarity should not happen with red tape on the positive lead.
  • BB.
    Options
    Trust but verify.
    Bill
  • softdown
    edited November 2021 #9
    Options
    Good news: Bypassed inverter to power all that requires it.

Bad news: Inverter wasn't designed to be easily swapped out. At all. The MATE was put together on a bench with the right tools. There are roughly, very roughly, about 18 connections that I have to undo and try to re-connect. We added four that usually are not present.

I could use a drink for courage. But I need to be 115% for this endeavor. It scares me just a little.

This is a challenge.
  • softdown
    Options
    This guy is very experienced. Not the best how to video. More of a look what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_2dZN9HW-g

• softdown
    Options
    Lots of steps and you must be careful. But not bad except for physically mounting the inverter. That was a real pain.

I suspect that solar guys would charge plenty for that service. I would.

Very well made stuff. Impressively made really.

Like most things, it would be somewhat easy the second time. If you had someone to hold the inverter in place that is. I made do with a big crowbar and perseverance. Lots of perseverance.

Good thing the bottom of the Flexpower didn't require disassembly. But the top was a little bit painstaking the first time.

Thanks to all who helped! Especially BB - as usual.
  • softdown
    Options
    Delivered at 3:50pm.
    Finished about 6:10pm I think. Not bad for a newbie.
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nice job nice job I’m glade it worked out for you 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • softdown
    edited November 2021 #14
    Options
    wellbuilt said:
    nice job nice job I’m glade it worked out for you 

Considering all the other steps involved - I think a solar guy would likely charge maybe $600, or so, for all the steps involved considering all the risk involved. I'd charge $1000 to drive to, for example, California and do it. It is a somewhat painstaking chore.