Rated voltage: 12V / 24V
AC Generator permanent magnet in three phases
Control system: electromagnet
2 wires Red and BLUE

------------------------------------------------------------------

100w 18v semi flexible solar panel with 10a 12v/24v solar controller

====================================================================

30a smart hybrid charge controller with lcd display

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4000w peak power inverter lcd display
Dc 12/24v to ac 110v/220v
Voltage: 24V-220V
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four x 24V 180AH batteries

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a forum, so I suspect you'll mostly get some critiques, usually better to start with you needs and build a system to meet your needs.

So questions, I'll assume a 24 volt system? Since you have 24 volt batteries...

With 24 volt batteries, you can toss out a single 100 watt panel, since there are few if any boosting charge controllers. If it came with a 12/24 volt charge controller, you would need 2 panels to charge a 24 volt system. BTW - Flexible solar panels tend to be a poor choice, best suited for mobile applications and then only when glass are totally impractical.

The 500 watt (2000 watt in a tornado) windcharger, may have come with a charge controller? If not you'll likely want one with a dump load, as Windchargers must make power and will do damage somewhere if you don't have one.

This charge controller doesn't appear to handle dump loads, as it says "Solar Charge Controller"
    Scouser said:

30a smart hybrid charge controller with lcd display

The inverter says;
    Scouser said:
    4000w peak power inverter lcd display
    Dc 12/24v to ac 110v/220v
    Voltage: 24V-220V
    ...but It's like one set input voltage and one set output voltage. Though it could be a 220 split phase to have both 220 and 110 volts.

I like forklift batteries, though these appear used, they might have good life left in them, I'd check the Specific Gravity on the soon and get them charged up and likely a commissioning equalizing to see where they are at in terms for condition and get them all on the same page.
    Understand that 4 batteries in parallel is a poor choice, made even worse with used batteries.

You will want to know how the 180 ah is determined. For forklifts it's usually a 6hr rate of discharge, for home use we typically use a 20 hour discharge rate. That's usually about 1.3X the 6hr rate.

Here's a link to proper wiring to maintain equal resistance across 4 batteries in parallel.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Get back to us on what you have and I and likely others will give it a shot.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Victor,

We need to know exactly which turbine charge controller you have... But lets start with something like this integrated wind turbine controller:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFF6PF7

You connect the red+black wires directly to the battery bank (ideally with a fuse and wiring that is rated for the planned current from the alternator system)... Make sure you connect the battery bank first... There have been a report that if you connect to a spinning to the controller without the battery bank attached--It can destroy the charge controller.

Then connect the three other wires directly to the turbine (3 phase AC alternator that the controller changes to DC power, and the controller will stop the turbine once the battery bank is full (somewhere around 29-30 Volts).

And the solar charge controller... Connect the DC output to the battery bank--First so the controller properly configures to 24 volt batter bank (if you connect to solar panel first, the controller may not properly choose 12 or 24 volt batter bank default). Then connect the charge controller to your solar array.

You can connect several different charge controllers (wind, solar, AC backup power, etc.) to one battery battery bank. The controllers will each control their output based on what each thinks the battery bank needs to charge.

When you have several parallel strings of batteries, suggest you follow this website instructions for properly wiring the parallel strings so that each bank properly shares the current:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Now for reality--Note: I suggest that 99% of the commercially built wind turbine systems out there are junk. And 100% of the vertical axis (and VAWT lantern type) are scams. I am not a fan of small/residential wind except in very few situations (and with the proper equipment, designs, and location).

First, do you have your 24 volt batteries on a 24 volt battery charger? Flooded cell lead acid batteries need to be fully charged (on average) at least once a month, or placed on a float charger to maintain charge (and check electrolyte levels every month--Add distilled water as needed). If you do not do this, within a few months the batteries can self discharge and sulfate--And ruin them.

The VAWT--It will produce zero useful energy in any winds (a few Watts or a few 1/10ths of an Ampere in high winds).... Most are not installed on tall enough tower (10-30 meter tall tower), in clear wind (no upwind building, trees, etc.) and in a relatively windy location (most HAWT--horizontal wind turbines) don't begin to produce useful amounts of power until they have ~12-25 MPH winds (19 kmh to 40 kmh).

The solar array. For most PWM type charge controllers... You are going to need two "12 volt" (aka 18 Vmp) panels in series to charge a 24 volt battery bank. A single 12 volt panel will not charge your 24 volt battery bank. Also, "flexible" solar panels--They will last a few months to a couple of years (typically) in full sun... And some flexible panels fail right out of the box.

A 4,000 Watt AC inverter--You say it is a 12/24 VDC input inverter? Most inverters are designed for 12 OR 24 OR 48 VDC battery banks... I have not seen a 12-24 VDC nominal input voltage AC inverter...

A 4,000 Watt AC inverter on your 24 VDC @ ( 4x 180 AH= ) 720 AH battery bank is OK--It is the maximum I would suggest for that battery bank. Large AC inverters can waste a lot of energy just being "turned on" (something like 10-40+ Watts depending on the breand/model). So you have to be sure you have enough charging energy to keep the battery bank properly charged.

More or less for your battery bank, suggest 10% rate of charge is needed for a generic off grid power system to keep the batteries "happy":
    • 720 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 2,712 Watt array "nominal"
    • 2,712 Watt array / 29 volts = 94 Amps of charging current rated charge controller(s)
    100 - 200 Watts of solar panels... a 1% float charge rate (absolute minimum--For batteries in storage) would be a 270 Watt array...

If you have not spent any money yet--I highly suggest you don't. The system you are looking at will not produce any useful amount of energy for you, and you will end up with a dead battery bank in a few days (if you try to run the AC inverter with loads) to a few months (if you try to just let the wind+solar float the battery bank).

Victor, I believe you are out of the Netherlands? One of the local governments there did a test 10+ years ago of small wind turbines installed in an open field in a relatively (for Netherlands) windy area (aka--Not really that windy).

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/3638/small-windpower-a-scam-survey-says-so/p1

Many of the links are dead now, but perhaps you can find the report in a library/government site somewhere?

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/04/small-windmills-test-results.html (English language article about the testing)
    https://www.lowtechmagazine.be/2009/05/testresultaten-kleine-windturbines.html (Dutch language version of above link, longer article)

For those of us language impaired--The above link translated to English:

https://www-lowtechmagazine-be.translate.goog/2009/05/testresultaten-kleine-windturbines.html?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=nui

Personally, I would suggest starting back at ground zero. Figure out your off grid energy needs (Watt*Hours per day, by season and location--With lots of conservation). Design a solar power system (possibly with generator backup--if needed) and build out that system.

Once stable and working, you can look at designing a wind system to support your energy needs during bad weather... And to be honest, a "do it yourself' (DIY) wind turbine system is probably better than 99% of the small wind turbines you can buy today.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset