Schneider communication bus power?

Options
Riley
Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
In the winter time, I am currently turning off my inverter and opening the breaker feeding the inverter. 
I am not sure what device powers the schneider 'mod-bus' but i think it looses power even though the charge controller is still powered (from the panels and perhaps some battery draw when no solar output). 

So my question is; what device actually powers the bus? 
If I wanted my schneider com-box to power up and talk to the charge controller, should do that by supplying power to the com-box ? It has a power input terminal. When the system is up, there is no power to the com-box but it works fine. 

I was thinking about rigging up my electronics / communications systems to power up the communications briefly once and awhile with a separate power system (main system is off) and allow me remote access to tweak and monitor what's going on with the system at my remote cabin.  I could even fire up the generator when needed to recharge my batteries.

I guess I am trying to understand where the power for the mod-bus (or xan-bus as I think they call it).  
Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The inverters can power the xanbus.
     SCP cannot.  Gateway can only power itself - I don't think it's wall wart can power a whole xanbus string.
     Charge controllers cannot, because the xanbus would fail at night. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Riley
    Options
    ok, so that makes sense that when I turn off the inverter, I lose the bus. 
    So sounds like I would need to keep the inverter powered to keep the bus up... ugh :(
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When the inverter is in Standby, does the bus shut down ?    Can you place your inverter in standby ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 150 V mppt can't power xanbus. The 600V mppt's all can power xanbus.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Riley
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    When the inverter is in Standby, does the bus shut down ?    Can you place your inverter in standby ?
    I will have to try that Mike. I am not on site now but next time I am back, I will give that a try.