Battery Monitor issues

Options
Dcline
Dcline Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
My battery monitor says 3% and my Midnight says 85%. Based on my usage history the 85% is normal. I had issues with this battery monitor on another system so I moved to my second system to see if it acted the same and it does. I am leaning to it being a bad monitor. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the Midnite charge controller is in BULK and at 51.1 volts, So I have a lot of thoughts.

You haven't told us about your system, so we would need to know more.

What type of battery bank? Size and type?
    Do you have a whiz bang Jr connected to the Midnite charge controller and if so did you enter the capacity of your battery bank correctly.

I'd say the only way for the Midnite Classic to be correct is if you have a under sized lithium battery bank.

With Lead acid battery bank charging at 700 watts in bulk assuming no load, You might well be below 50% of capacity.

Of course like this response "Crap data in" - "crap data out!"
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dcline
    Options
    This system consists of the following. 
    2-strings of 8-6 volt Fullriver DC400-6 batteries, 2 Schneider Conext XW inverters and 2-Midnight Classic chargers. As well as a conext AGS, Conext Combox, Conext SCP & Conext batteriy monitor. 

I do not have a whiz Bank Jr. 
  • Dcline
    Options
    Note:

as mentioned I have swapped the battery chargers around and the issue moved along with the battery charger in question. 
  • Dcline
    edited September 2021 #5
    Options
    Mistakingly stated battery chargers but meant battery monitor