Equipment list-advice appreciated

Options
Bluedog225
Bluedog225 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭

I feel like I should have this a little more fleshed out but the more I research the more I stumble across.  So I thought I’d pick some brains here.  I’d appreciate any insight.

Off-grid remote cabin/workshop.  It’s primitive by design.  Much like camping.  Minimal electrical needs except for required air conditioning 4 months/year.  

I’m trying to get a ballpark on the cost of equipment needed to run the AC.  No grid tie for this exercise.

(34) LG 375 watt panels (plenty to run the AC while the sun shines)
(34) Enphase IQ-8 (mainly because I’m not willing to take a chance on DC-arc)
(2) Tesla Power walls (or are there better/cheaper alternatives?)
?-management system to make this work together.

That’s it, right?  Can the IQ-8s directly feed the main distribution system and the Powerwall be fed from the main panel as well?

That seems too easy.  Expensive but easy.

The battery will feed the AC for as long as it lasts.  And I can add another powerwall, and another, till I run out of money.  Or the wife leave me.  Right?

Any feedback or advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't think you have anything to calculate, since you haven't included the air conditioners load/wattage or the wife's tolerance for you spending money.

I'm personally looking to replace my forklift battery, I still think it's cheaper than lithium at this point. about $3000 for a 24kWh battery that should last 10+ years. Of course it will NOT do that if run dry daily.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Bluedog225
    Options
    Sure.  I’m guessing (really guessing) 1000 watts per hour.  Hoping to get some advice on how these micro inverters work in relation to the Powerwall power management system (or other battery management system).  The forklift battery sounds interesting though.  Where do you look for something like that?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Do you have a Power Wall installer picked out? More or less, the Power Wall will be the "heart" of your system. And the installer should know how it is done (or not).

The owner's manual does suggest that you can install GT Solar and Power Wall(s) on the same circuit:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/powerwall_2_ac_owners_manual.pdf

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/powerwall/documents/documents

Since I do not see a design/installation manual--I would guess this is not DIY. The glossies show a Tesla branded GT inverter--Don't know if that is required or will work with other brands.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Bluedog225
    Options
    Thanks Bill.

I don’t have an installer picked out yet.  Agreed, it looks like the key to it all if I go that route.

Sorry I don’t know what GT solar is.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    edited August 2021 #6
    Options
    Grid Tied Solar or Utility Interactive type Inverter.... Basically, solar panels => GT Inverter => main home breaker panel.

The simplest and most efficient (both power and costs) method of generating solar power for use in the home (business/etc.).

The GT Inverter takes all available power from the solar array and converts it to (typically) 240 VAC @ 60 Hz and pumps the current/power into the main breaker panel. And that energy is used to power your local appliances, and slow the utility meter down, or even turn it backwards (reducing your bill during the day).

For all the world--GT Solar system looks like the AC Version of the inverter powering the local appliances and even "recharging" the AC utility (which looks like a giant AC battery bank). Very much like the alternator on a car, battery, and the loads... When the car is running the alternator supports both your loads and charging the vehicle battery. And when the engine stops, the car battery supplies 12 VDC to run your radio/lights/etc.

Basic GT solar is completely transparent to your home&appliances. You cannot tell what is happening unless you look the GT Inverter status screen and/or your utility meter. GT inverters will shut down if there is a utility power failure to protect utility linemen and others.

In the case with something like the power wall (or other hybrid inverters--Basically off grid/GT capable AC inverters that have a battery bank to store power locally for a power failure--The power walls can store energy from the GT Solar inverter / Utility Grid and if (for example) there is a power failure, the Power Wall "transfer switch" is disconnected from the utility and the power wall is now in "off grid" AC inverter mode and generating 120/240 VAC for your home to keep the lights on/run your appliances.

If you have solar panels and a GT Inverter--It will "see" the Power Wall Inverter as "utility power" and feed power to the home's breaker panel--Feeding your local appliances and charge the Power Wall battery bank. The complexity arises from the interaction between the Power Wall and the GT inverter.... For example, at some point the Power Wall batteries reach 100% full and it cannot take any more power from the solar array (under full sun). At that point the Power Wall needs to tell the GT inverter to reduce its power output so the Power Wall Batteries do not over charge. There are several possible ways to do this--But I do not know how Power Wall does this.... And the method used needs to be the same between the Power Wall and the GT Solar Inverter(s).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset