65-amp breaker for a system with 35 IQ7A?

Options
Can really use some help here...
My main electrical panel is 200amps. If I derate to 175, I get 65 amps for the backfeed with the 120% rule.
Now IQ7As are rated 1.45 amp for max continuous output current.
1.45 x 35 (no. of panels) x 1.25 (continuous load factor) = 63.4375 amps.

So I really need a 65 amps breaker which doesn't seem like even exists lol. And can't go to 70amps which would break the 120% rule.

Options I have considered:
Upgrade the panel but that adds too much cost.
Go for a lower size PV (not really something I want)
Mix IQ7A with IQ7Plus maybe?

Any other suggestions how to get around this issue? Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Midnight has an assortment of breakers, 65a should be easy.  Harder is finding one to fit your panel
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Not an expert--But if you install 3x 20 Amp breakers for the solar branch circuits (at the "opposite end from the main breakers"), that would give you 60 amps total.

And, review the installation instructions for the micro inverters--The few that I have read about only let you use 15 or 20 amp branch circuits anyway...

Have you checked into what sizes the main breakers come in (like 125, 175, 200 or others?)... What one others may be available (if any) for your main panel.

Do you have room in your panel for 3x 20 Amp 2 pole breakers? Or would you need to add a subpanel to break out 3x more 20 amp branch circuits?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • HD21
    HD21 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    Midnight has an assortment of breakers, 65a should be easy.  Harder is finding one to fit your panel
    Hmm I couldn't find a 65amp breaker. Checked here http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=16&productCatName=Breakers

They do have 60 amp 100% rated but would need their own enclosures. Doing a subpanel is also not possible since they are indoor only. 
  • HD21
    HD21 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    BB. said:
    Not an expert--But if you install 3x 20 Amp breakers for the solar branch circuits (at the "opposite end from the main breakers"), that would give you 60 amps total.

And, review the installation instructions for the micro inverters--The few that I have read about only let you use 15 or 20 amp branch circuits anyway...

Have you checked into what sizes the main breakers come in (like 125, 175, 200 or others?)... What one others may be available (if any) for your main panel.

Do you have room in your panel for 3x 20 Amp 2 pole breakers? Or would you need to add a subpanel to break out 3x more 20 amp branch circuits?

-Bill
    I've a GE main panel. They have 175amp and 150amp main breaker available. But I don't think I can get the permit for derating to 150amp, so 175 is the only real option.

The question is more for the backfeeding breaker for the interconnection to grid. I have room for 60amp but per the 125% rule for the circuit after inverters, I need to have a breaker of at least 63.44 amps :( 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Again, the question of needing a single 65 Amp breaker... If each IQ7 feed is a 20 amp 240 VAC branch circuit, then you would need 3x20 amp breaker/branch circuits (and limiting the number of IQ7s).

The only way I can see "needing" a 65 amp breaker is if you have a sub-panel just for solar and wanted a 65 amp breaker for that sub-panel circuit. And I believe you could use an 60 amp or larger breaker (with appropriate AWG wire/conduit/sub-panel). You would just be limited to 3x20 amp 240 VAC branch circuits.

I see you are already derating by 1.25x NEC continuous current rule... Like that.  :)

https://store.enphase.com/storefront/pub/media/productattach/i/q/iq7_microinverter_datasheet.pdf
    Maximum units per 20 A (L-L) branch circuit³               16 (240 VAC)

3. Limits may vary. Refer to local requirements to define the number of microinverters per branch in your area.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset