Spinning my wheels but have some gear...what should I build?

Options
joefoot
joefoot Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi All,

I've got some batteries (20kwh AGM), a 48v-1500w inverter, and a mix of old panels and want to build something.  Someone estimated that we could put 8000w of solar panels on the barn, and I like the idea of a hybrid inverter like the Outback Radian.  In the short term, I want to be ready for a week long power outage since the last one was rough.  Any suggestions?

Maybe I could build a frame for panels and a transfer switch panel for critical loads like heat, fridge, etc.  I have two 10 AWG wires in a conduit to the house.  Should I build a properly vented battery box and use those to carry the 1400w of solar DC to the basement?  

An alternative is to invest $1400 to run 6AWG copper to carry 240v AC to/from the barn?  This would be so the hybrid inverter we buy someday can live with the batteries out there?  I've been told it should be near the panels for "rapid shutdown".  In the short term, I could put a generator inlet out there and put batteries and an inverter out there and a frame for the panels?

I figure a generator panel is the first step and could get us ready for a power outage.  I was thinking of a Reliance one that lets you switch individual circuits from grid to generator.  Though I have to figure out if that would be OK with a grid-tie system.  Some electricians mentioned using a Square D one so I'd pull the circuits out of the main panel entirely instead.

Not sure on the solar panels because they are a mix of 80 cell - 200w frameless ones (and I broke the glass on one), some 72 cell 185w ones and some 32 cell 50w ones.  I suppose I could get others...but I have them so many I could make something temporary?  We have a great spot to park it near the barn.  I also have some scrap metal and wood and can weld.

I'm curious what you would do.  Thanks!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decide which household loads / circuits will be your "Critical" ones that will be backed up with your alternate source.  Then be sure your source can power them all.

Put your Critical loads on your transfer switch and have another set of breakers to be able to feed the transfer switch from either generator or off-grid inverter.  ( some inverters have a generator input and a moderate size transfer switch internally )

Sell the 50W panels, not worth messing with.

With 2 sizes of PV panels you may need to carefully calculate how to wire them up, or you may need 2 separate charge controllers.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,