Series/parallel battery bank.

Options
2»

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question guys,

Given this situation, the owner has agreed for me to rewire the bank. I am wondering if all the interconnect cables (between batteries) can be#2/0 awg, as well as the runs to the buss bars.  The final home runs would be 4/0.  The reason I ask is that I need to replace every cable and I can’t make up #4/0, but I can make up 2/0.  I have enough 4/0 with lugs to make the home runs.  

Thanks,

PS.  Speaking of Amana fridges, I saw an ad on Craigslist a few days ago looking for some help with an “Enema” fridge.  Not sure that that is?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    2/0 is good for 145-195 Amps depending on insulation type in conduit (using the basic NEC chart):

https://lugsdirect.com/WireCurrentAmpacitiesNEC-Table-301-16.htm

Is this with the existing battery bank or something new/different (cleaning connections vs new/different)?

If you are rewiring the existing batteries--Probably should be taking voltage and SG readings (logged in notebook) to see if they are even worth rewiring (time and money on your side).

Perhaps even take 1/3rd of the existing batteries at a time and charging them separately (6/12/24 volt, depending on what chargers you have available) on grid (take 24 hours or more to bring up and EQ?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying.  Been a lot on my plate off late.  I am going to use the original 4/0 and simply make up a few new ones.  I found a guy who had some 4/0 and lugs.  

T