Submersible solar pump timer

ChrisKitson
ChrisKitson Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi there. I have an off grid 1.1kw 230V submersible pump that is connected to 9 x 330W solar panels via a box containing a variable frequency inverter and a capacitor. What I am wanting to do is incorporate a timer to start and stop the pump. At the moment, when the sun comes up the pump runs. I have tried to add a geyser timer but this pops every time. The volts I measured coming out the inverter were above 2000 and about 1200V after the capacitor. My questions are...
Surely the 230V submersible pump should have blown?
How can I get a timer setup so that I can control the start / stop of the pump?

Thanks 

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 #2
    Welcome to the forum @ChrisKitson

Is the pump a designated for solar kit or a DIY build, just for clarification and what is the timer needed for ?
    What is a geyser timer, assuminsg a water heater timer.

The voltage being read by a meter most likely is eronious if not a true RMS type meter, the modified waveform generated by a frequency drive will confuse a non RMS type meter. Any other details, pictures or information would be helpful.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.