Existing well hybrid power project.

Revinvoss
Revinvoss Registered Users Posts: 4
I am planning on powering my existing well pump with a hybrid power system.
I do need some advice though, the pump is 1.5 HP KW 1.1 running amp 10, max amp 11.5 S.F. 1.3 RPM 3450.
I also need to run 2 heat taps in the winter they max out together at 47 watt.
My query is, what size wind turbine with solar will I need with what size inverter and charge controller and how many batteries for running it for an intermittent time over 12hrs. It is not used through night times.
I might not have all the info here but, if anyone knows what would be needed, I can always get more information to help.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @Revinvoss

Sometimes attempting to power an existing pump with solar ends up costing more than replacing the pump with one designed to operate directly off PV without the need for an inverter batteries charge controller, which to support a 1.5 hp pumps starting current.
    Solar pumps typically come with a controller which converts the DC to 3 phase AC, or have brushless DC motors, some have controllers that accept batteries for backup.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Revinvoss
    Thank you I will look into the cost from my local well company to find out what is would cost to do that. 
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes attempting to power an existing pump with solar ends up costing less than replacing the pump with one designed to operate directly off PV without the need for an inverter batteries charge controller. 
    Depending on the depth of your well, you may have to hire a crane like I did to get it out of the ground.  That is nothing to look forward to.  You may find it cost effective to build a system that can power your pump, rather than trying to replace it.

That being said, I think that some of your numbers are suspect.  There's a table posted by another member, Mike in northern California.  I've found that these values jibe closely with what I've measured for my well pump.
    Sorry, I cut and pasted it, but it doesn't show up in this post?
    Looking at the table, a 1.5hp pump should be drawing about 11.6A while running, which works out to be ~2780W.  A running amps of 10 is more likely to be a 1.0hp pump, like what I have.  How did you come up with these numbers?  Did you use a clamp meter, or nameplate values?  I have a 1.0hp pump drawing 10amps off my generator, and I can run that via solar for 8 hours per day with my solar array.  I'm using a Schneider XW+6848 to power my well, along with 4500W of panels.  The XW runs about 3200$ right now.  I can get 18-250W grid-tie panels for <1000$ right now.  The 48V trojan battery bank I built for it cost about 3000$

I cost me 5000$ to pull my pump out, which is less that what it cost to build this system, but now that the system is in place, it powers everything in my cabin effortlessly, so I wouldn't change anything. 

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Here is Mike's Chart:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/352262/inverter-for-well-pump
    A 1HP pump will need a pretty beefy inverter to start it up.
    Is there a Pump Control Box (not the pressure switch) that has some electronics in it, to start the pump, or is it buried in the pump down the hole.   There are 2 types of AC pumps. 3 wire and 2 wire.  2 wire has control box down the hole, 3 wire has control box on top for easy service of the capacitor that goes bad.
    Here's a chart of typical pump motors, all generic AC induction motors have about the same power requirements. Starting draw is many times running current LRA = Locked Rotor Amps and your

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Revinvoss

This is my well pump. I have to say I went with the larger of the two HP but I really do not know if the pump is either a 1 HP or a 1,5 HP. We get an incredible pressure, around 60+ psi.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 #7
    What would be useful to the discussion is some figures 
    Depth of well or total head 
    Submersible of suction type
    Water demand requirements

This is why the word sometimes is used, if the demand for water is minimal and or the well is shallow, a smaller pump could be used, without detailed information, one can only guess and speculate. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Revinvoss
    Well depth is unknown 
    Submersible 
    Water demand is for farm use as well as home use.
    Well is 300 feet from house there are frost spigots as far away as 900 feet.

I will be getting the local well company to look into the system and get a quote for changing the system to hybrid setup.