Northerly climates "require" all black solar panels.

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
All but two panels are ~96% black. All black except for the narrow aluminum strips connecting the ~5" x 5" collection squares. They show about 1' of snow at the bottom. It is snowing.

The two panels that are ~88% black? They have aluminum colored triangles between each collection square. They show about 2' of snow at the bottom.

The difference is very clear.

Digression: 
At about 2:30pm MST, system voltage is running between 49.5 and 50.0 volts. A bit alarming if it keeps snowing and tomorrow is crummy. So I fired up the diesel genset. Bit stubborn with a 2012 battery. Ran it for 10 minutes. Charging the 2012 battery now - clearly its last season.

May have to charge the batteries via genset. They took a big hit when I left for 2 1/2 weeks in September. It seems like an aggressive  equalizing cycle was carried out to the AGMs - while I was gone. The Outback MATE internet interface is now removed. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries