desulphate versus equalising

Options
alcatel99
alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
I personally eq my crown 225s once a month if needed but i have a neighbour who has a charge controller with out equalise and he asked me about a Desulphator i am not wanting to give bad information so i sent him to this forum but there are a bunch of posts so not sure if he will read all of them ,i also pointed out he might be best off to get an MPPT charge controller that has eq feature your thoughts might help him

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Generally, Desulphators don't hurt.   Some will confuse a charge controller with their voltage pulses, so that is a bit of a gamble
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your neighbor does not really need a controller that has an EQ function to be able to do an EQ.
    His controller just needs the ability to raise the float voltage up to the battery makes recommended EQ voltage.
    The drill is he gets up on a good solar day. Programs float to the EQ voltage. The sun does the bulk and absorption charge and when complete the controller will go to float with the programmed float voltage at the EQ set-point. After one or two hours he programs the float voltage to the correct float voltage. This requires that the person understands what they are doing.

The same with an MPPT with an EQ function, EQ requires knowledge of the dangers. Fire and Death are the two big dangers!

This a method that Schneider and Outback users often use. The EQ function limits (for safety) the system to only one Mppt doing EQ.
    This is the workaround for networked multi-mppt systems. You use the full power of all of the arrays for EQ and loads.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net