240 volt split phase inverter/charger choices?

Saggys
Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
What are the choices these days for 240/120 inverter charger? I know Schneider makes one, maybe Magnum? Has anyone had positive results with inverters from other manufacturers other than Outback, Schneider or Magnum. I have 20 year old Trace equipment that works fine but have been thinking of going to a 48 volt 240/120 inverter. Any Samlex, Victron, Aims users out there? I do not want any open wiring, would need to be all enclosed in raceways for a clean neat install. Just looking for ideas and opinions.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schneider, Outback, and Magnum all make Split phase 240/120 inverters. Outback and Schneider make integrated enclosures for some of their system Schneider Conext and Radian which will integrate their systems including charge controller, breakers.

Victron and Samlex both make an integrated unit with a charge controller. Multiplus and EVO, neither have split phase, or for 48 volt systems... but are UL1741 for home use. I know the Samlex has a integrated transfer switch for a generator.

If yu have newer charge controllers, you could do a Breaker box/power center, Like Midnite's E-Panels (or others made by Outback) With minimal or no open wire runs. Code requires them to be able to install with out exposed wiring.

I use a Midnite E-Panel with 2 charge controllers, They can easily be setup to use multiple inverters;

My setup (I have a Magnum 4024 now, but also have the old reliable Prosine 1800 ready to switch over)

E-Panels can have inverters mounted on the door making for a compact No or minimal exposed wiring design.

MidNite Solar Inc Renewable Energy System Electrical Components and E- Panels
    Midnite Solar E-Panel

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Saggys
    Thanks Photowhit for the suggestions and pic's of your setup. I am looking at the NAWS store now and there is alot to take in. I need to look at some of your suggestions also, code compliant and UL listed is very important to me as well as cost. I will probably be researching this now till spring as what I have works and I only want to do this one more time.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would put my .02 in for staying the the same brand of mppt and inverter/charger. This will allow the system to be networked and show you a picture of what is going on. Below is a CSW 4048 from Schneider being monitored from a smart phone.

g mon

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Saggys
    Thanks Dave for the suggestion, things have come long way from our Trace equipment.