Flexmax60 settings

Options
nsxnitro
nsxnitro Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
Need help setting flexmax60 plx.

I have 2v 1680ah 24v system. Trying to set charging setup for flexmax 60.
Battery is c&d tech lct 2v 1680ah flooded battery.
Float rated 2.22v, gravity rated 1.215v. 
I'm thinking bulk at 28.8, float at 26.8, absorb at 30 for 2 hours. Any ide as would be appreciated 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nsxnitro said:

I'm thinking bulk at 28.8, float at 26.8, absorb at 30 for 2 hours. Any ide as would be appreciated 
    You do understand that these batteries are NOT designed for daily cycling?

They are Flooded Lead calcium batteries, so if you own them, do your best to only shallowly discharge. I'd guess you are in the range. 
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like to absorb @ 59 /59.5 this time of year and back off  a little come April  float at 54 v  I have a 48v system so your # at 24v would be half .how much solar for fm 60 at 24 volts
     Sure seams like a lot of battery for a fm 60 

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • nsxnitro
    Options
    wellbuilt said:
    I like to absorb @ 59 /59.5 this time of year and back off  a little come April  float at 54 v  I have a 48v system so your # at 24v would be half .how much solar for fm 60 at 24 volts
     Sure seams like a lot of battery for a fm 

nsxnitro said:

You do understand that these batteries are NOT designed for daily cycling?

They are Flooded Lead calcium batteries, so if you own them, do your best to only shallowly discharge. I'd guess you are in the range. 

I have two fm 60 with 12 panels so far and adding 12 more later.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Battery voltage setpoints (using the mfg's specifications) are always a starting point.

Monitoring battery bank voltage (is it reaching the voltage set points, being held for 2-6 hours at setpoint, falling back to float set point, etc.). Checking specific gravity (all cells at first, choose a "pilot cell" to confirm state of charge, logging the data).

You want the batteries to reach >90% state of charge (usually, at least a couple times a week)... You don't want 100% charge every day--That is hard on lead acid batteries.

Also, monitor water usage... Lead Calcium batteries should not use much water. If you are having to add water every couple of months or more often--You are probably over charging them.

Check the bank temperature--You don't want to overheat the bank. Cool batteries last longer. High charging voltages cause lots of gassing+heat. Your Lead Calcium batteries will not like much gassing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    edited December 2020 #6
    Options
    BB. said:
    Battery voltage setpoints (using the mfg's specifications) are always a starting point.
    There are none, because the batteries are designed to be floated continuously. 
    Perhaps @Marc Kurth Has some experience with cycling these?

BB. said:
     Your Lead Calcium batteries will not like much gassing.
    I think that's true, I guess it depends on the amount of calcium they have in the makeup. I think car batteries still had to be checked for water levels back before 2000, or so. Now it's nearly impossible to open most of them. 
    nsxnitro said:
    It would be good to think of these as 'car batteries'. designed for a constant state of charging. With only minimal use.

looks like you found the website info, as you posted the float voltages for them;
    C&D Technologies LCT Series Flooded Calcium Lead-Acid Telecom Battery Terminal & Charging (cogenient.com)

We had a similar type battery that they got 6 years out of in a recent thread, here;
    Though they were VLRA (AGM) type batteries. It looks like you can add distilled water to these.
    Battery Bank Problems — northernarizona-windandsun (solar-electric.com)

Here's a spec sheet about them. Looks like they use Antimony in the alloy as well.
    SetNewCropBox (cogenient.com)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • nsxnitro
    edited December 2020 #7
    Options
    Batteries that I have is c&d tech ZP series 2v 1680ah. I believe the battery is used for telecommunication as switch gear setup with four ports. Two positive and two negative connection.
    Yes, you can use distilled water for fill. 
    My first experiment with calcium battery. So I can't tell unit loads applied n monitor how the batteries would handle.
    My current setting at:
    Bulk at 29v
    Float at 27.6
    Eq. 31 at 2 hours
    Solar array 4 200w/4 240w two strings with two flexmax 60
    So far so good. It's holding the voltage very well.
    I'll follow up in few months for more updates.
    Thanks everyone for chiming in.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    nsxnitro said:

Eq. 31 at 2 hours
    I wouldn't equalize them unless you have more info from the manufacturer. Might ask them...