inverter not charging

creeves105
creeves105 Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a MS4024pae inverter connected to magnum mini panel. My problem is when I am on generator, the inverter will not charge the batteries. I am off grid and this is my only power. 

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    How is the generator connected to the Magnum?  Are you using the MMP enclosure?  Are you trying to feed the inverter 120VAC or 240VAC?  If charging via 120VAC only,  you can only have either L1 or L2 of the AC input connected, but NOT both.  With the generator running, using a voltmeter, are you detecting voltage at the AC input terminals?  What's the voltage output of your generator?  Have you checked that the bypass is wired correctly for the incoming AC?
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • creeves105
    Hi. The generator is connected via the 220 outlet on the front and I am getting 220v to the MMP enclosure. Everything is connected. I followed  the manual very closely. Red to red, black to black, etc. I checked with good meter and have juice to all the parts that need it. Could it be the inverter itself? Thanks.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 #4
    A common issue is generator rpm speed governor is off.  Assuming it is a regular generator (not inverter-gen) the accuracy of 60 Hz depends on generator engine speed.  

Most cheap digital multimeters these days have a frequency reading mode.  Get one and check the frequency of AC out of generator.  Many generators (older type) have a spring loaded wind vane for governor control from flywheel air flow with a adjustment screw on a linkage bar below carburetor. You can adjust engine speed to bring AC output to 60 Hz.  Some have similar mechanical governors that works from oil flow rate within generator.  Same external set screw to adjust speed with spring tension to carburetor throttle..

The generator speed needs to be fairly constant without unstable rpm hunting by governor control.
  • creeves105
    This is a 5000 watt inverter gen.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The charger in the the inverter/charger needs to be configured correctly. Did it ever charge or is this new?

The more info/time you spend describing the problem, the better the answers you will get?  A simple test like using another genset might also worth trying.

Even a inverter based genset needs to be on frequency and in the right voltage range.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net