Equalizing question

Options
hillside
hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
On my two strings of panels (wired series/parallel, thanks to the experts here) I have two separate charge controllers to handle each string and they each have an equalizing phase..however, one is every 28 days and the other is every 30 days.
On a small system such as this do I need to be concerned with overcharging the 4 Deka L16 batteries?
The system has been running perfectly for about 10 months but I'd like to get the longest life possible out of these batteries.
One of the CC's has the option to cancel equalizing charge...should I try it ?
8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
Honda EU3000W generator for backup.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would only do what is recommended by Deka. Nothing more or less, especially if the system is working correctly.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    To successfully EQ a battery bank (after it has been fully charged normally), you only need around 5% of battery bank AH charging current.

If you can get around 5% from one charge controller, then you should be fine with only one controller during the EQ cycle.

The first couple of cycles--I would want to monitor battery current/temperature/bubbling... Not a bad idea to simply manually EQ while you are there to make sure all is OK (if you are going to use a hydrometer, checking per battery EQ charging voltage, logging results, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset