Schneider XW Pro 6848 won't qualify generator on AC2

GoldenGateGoldenGate Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
During initial installation this summer, the generator qualified using firmware version 1.03.
After I began selling back to the grid, I observed peculiar inverter behavior.
(Basically, the inverter pushed too many KW to the grid, drained the battery, waited until batteries recharged, then repeated.)
This behavior was rectified with an inverter firmware upgrade to 1.04.

I did a generator test yesterday and the generator will not qualify.
Release notes for firmware version 1.04 state this is a known issue: AC2 (generator) not qualifying.

Question I've got is if there is a fix out for this yet. 
1.04 came out in December 2019. 
If I revert back to 1.03, I expect the bad inverter behavior to re-occur.

Anyone else encountered this?
Any fix?

-David

XW Pro 6048  MPPT 80/600 Gateway SCP 5.2 KW panels 12 KW battery bank 5KW generator
Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, west of Golden Colorado

Comments

• Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is your configuration settings. The problems that are known relate to multi-unit xwp systems.

Gen qualification is usually either the genset or configuration. You really have to be alot more specific in your descriptions. The effort you put into this is going to drive the accuracy of any responses. At least from me...

You probably should be running 1.03 as the 1.04 is for Hawaii and is probably not good on grid Colorado, unless Schneider has told you to run 1.04?

I tested 1.03 here for the 2018 field test and never had any problems offgrid. I know a bunch of folks running this on grid also.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]et

• GoldenGateGoldenGate Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Thanks Dave.

I've seen the post https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/411463#Comment_411463 where the OP moved back from 1.04 to 1.03 in a multi-unit xwp setup to get his generator to qualify.  He stated the known issue applied to multi-unit xwp setups.  But, when I check the release notes Schneider's simple statement is: AC2 (generator) not qualifying.  They don't state that it only applies to multi-unit XWP setups.   So, I'm hoping to get a resolution from Schneider on Tuesday and clear this up.   I will followup here with the results of that conversation, and pertinent details.

I'd be happy to move back to 1.03 if I could do so without the problem I encountered with selling too much power to the grid, as described above.  I'd like to think this was caused by a configuration issue, but, when it occurred initially the recommended fix was to move to 1.04.

XW Pro 6048  MPPT 80/600 Gateway SCP 5.2 KW panels 12 KW battery bank 5KW generator
    Yes let them clear it up. I do not do much grid stuff  :)   I heard the problem with the multi xwp is that both inverters have to be on and the slave can not be in search. This got the gen to qual.  How is the smoke in the rockies? 600 feet in alot of the sierras today.
    E-mail [email protected]

• GoldenGateGoldenGate Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Smoke in the Colorado Rockies is pretty bad again today here, mainly coming in from California and Oregon. 

So - Schneider support was helpful on Tuesday. 
    They confirmed that if you're not in Hawaii, you probably don't want to run 1.04. 
    Reading between the lines, I've a feeling that there could be some bugs lurking in 1.04 that don't exist in1.03.

We rolled back to 1.03. 
    Good news is that the inverter did not get into the cycle where it sold too much to the grid, so, it was stable with the same configuration parameters I was running in 1.04.

Bad news is that the inverter would still not qualify the generator.
    Power looked good coming from AC2, but it would not qualify.
    The green AC2 light on the inverter never blinked. 

When I turned off the 60 amp breaker that connects the inverter to the grid, the inverter logged a F27 L1 Over Voltage fault.  It would self clear in 5 minutes.   The inverter would still not qualify the generator.  I'm speculating but it looks like there's a bug here - for instance if the inverter logs the F27 it won't qualify AC2 until AC1 is good again, but AC1 won't be good again until power is restored from the grid and then I don't need the generator ...

Through trial and error, we did find a work around. 

It turns out that the inverter comes up clean after rebooting it. 
    AC2 light blinks green on the inverter display panel and the generator qualifies. 
    All is good.

Uncertain if this bug effects just the XW Pro 6848, or if it effects the XW+ too, or perhaps if it's peculiar to my install. 
    And, I'm not certain that if the power fails during an actual outage if the behavior is the same.  I'll wait and see.
    Worst case is I need to take a brief outage for the reset/reboot if I need to go to generator. 
    Better than nothing....

And most people with the grid, would have the outage, then they start the genset. 

Having a genset auto start from a Schneider AGS is not a smart thing to do unless you have some serious medical problem. Even then I would discourage it as a generator can start a fire when people are not there to monitor.

I also discourage it because my liability insurance is cancelled  >:) 

XW+ and XWpro, even though they are the same physical device, are very different electrically and firmware wise. Different animals and can't be in the same cage, or system.

We are sending the smoke east for the first time in 11 days  :)

E-mail [email protected]