pump water from pond to garden 700 ft horizontally

GrannyDP
GrannyDP Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
We want to water our lawn and gardens that are 700 ft from our private pond.   The house and gardens are 22 ft higher than the pond and 700 ft away.  i would like to water 3 different different gardens (sprinkle heads) on a timer.    We were thinking about using a 1hp shallow well pump at the pond source and pushing it the 700 ft. up to house and then separate to three different sprinkler heads.   We are only at the farm on the weekend so i would like to program it to run 15 minutes a day even when we are not there.  Could we use use solar power to accomplish this task?   Is there a better way?

Comments

• GrannyDP
    GrannyDP Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Paw  is concerned that the solar panels may do better with a 1/2 HP pump over a 1 hp pump.  I was looking at the Red Lion convertible jet pump which can convert to either a deep well pump or a shallow well pump.
    Thanks
    DrannyDP
    DPForumDog 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you needing to pump 22 ft elevation, and 700 distance ?

You must research what the flow restriction is for your 700' of pipe and what the pressure and flow requirements for the sprinklers will be.

I have run 2.5" PVC for my irrigation lines, because I'm running over 1,000 feet and require a 20gpm flow rate.

Having gone thru many timers and irrigation controls, I settled on using a clockwork Intermatic timer to control the Contactor for my
    1/2 hp pump.  That has reliably worked for years in an unheated outbuilding.
     I have wasted thousands of gallons of water with DC irrigation timers and solenoids, they just don't work, I trenched and ran 600' of power to my orchard, in order to use a conventional 6 station 24VAC timer &  solenoid valves.

for what I guess will be a 60' head at the pump and 5gpm flow for your sprinklers, 1/2 hp should be plenty.  
      Beware of not measuring elevations correctly, if you have to suck 5' up from the pond to the pump, you must calculate that with everything else
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Although it sounds like you are planning on high flow rates, there is another way.  We pump up 100 feet and over 700 feet using a 1/5 hp 24V Dankoff slowpump to a storage tank.  It pumps at about half the rate of a garden hose, but almost all day long. The advantage is that this only requires 100W of panels.  If you have an elevated storage tank and large enough piping you can then run a timer valve and let large flows out when you need them.  Saves big time on pumping and solar draw.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500