New Trojan RE-B's arriving - 1st bank of L16 REB's lasted 8yrs

SurfpathSurfpath Solar Expert Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
Tomorrow I hope to pick up my new bank of Trojan RE-B's. I am going to retire the old RE-B bank which lasted 8 years (and still seems to be  keeping a good charge). 

Old bank conditions:
  • Warm 26-29 degrees C environment. 
  • Average DOD over the 8 years ~30-35%.
  • Absorb was set for 3 hours for the first 5 years, I changed this to 2 hours after the death of one cell in 2018*
  • The battery* involved above was dropped on it's side on installation (maybe made a difference?).
  • The bank was EQ'd ~every 3 months for about an hour.
  • It was watered (2 liters for 8 batteries) every 1.5 to 2 months.
I did not "kill" my first bank and I believe that's because of keeping a relatively low DOD (only for a few months did the bank go less than 60% SOC) and eventually making sure I had an array with a 10% rate of charge. I can also probably count on two hands the times the bank went less than 100% SOC at the end of the day.  The latter was advice that Coot gave me in 2013 and in my opinion this is the best advice for a healthy L16 FLA bank. These are tall batteries and need to be be fully charged each day, IMHO.

For renewing the bank I did not go the Lithium route ($$ plus I have a FM80 charger). The new batteries have a slightly more generous "Typical Life in a Stationary Application" chart (here), have a different model # ("SPRE 06 415"), and they use 'smart carbon'.  But basically it's the same battery with a different label.

Hopefully they will also give me a good run. It's been so long I have forgotten how the commissioning process works.  The main thing is when I get my hands on them I will take SG's on all cells and try not to get any knocked over this time! Other suggestions welcomed.....
-SP

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.

Comments

• SurfpathSurfpath Solar Expert Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Quick update: The new bank is installed and commissioned (basically a full bulk, absorb, and EQ charge). So far it looks good. We have had a couple of days of charging now and in the early mornings the bank voltage has been around 50.1v 

They seem happy, one or two cells have SG''s that are a tiny bit lower than the other cells after absorb (1.280 vs 1.288), but all the cells seem to be bubbling away fine.

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.