String sizing question

Options
caleb
caleb Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
I currently have 2 strings of 3 panels (265W each) and they go from the combiner box back to a Flexmax FM80.  For the first several hours of the day, my chimney casts a shadow on one of the panels.  My understanding (which very well may be wrong) is that one panel being shaded will make the entire string mostly worthless.  If that's true, would I be better off doing 3 strings of 2 panels so that I can get more power?  What other downsides would I run in to if I were to move to 3 strings of 2?  Or is this even possible? (my combiner box is a midnight solar mpv3 so I should have room for one more string)

Thanks

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't mention battery voltage, 2 × 265W would not have sufficient voltage, ~60V for a 48V system, if lower say 24V, then the losses would be reduced slightly by strings of 2, by how much would depend on when the shadow occurs, if it is before the peak production period it may not be significant. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • caleb
    edited April 2020 #3
    Options
    Thanks. Battery bank is 24V. The shadowing occurs right up until about peak hours. So I’m missing the production from ~9-12 from one string (or half the panels). 

Also worth mentioning, I don’t have room on the roof to adjust the panels to get rid of the shadow and obviously the chimney is where it is. Just trying to judge if it’s worth/possible to explore maximizing the output I get. 
  • mcgivor
    Options
    There would be benifit by dividing to 3 strings of 2, given the hours stated.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Any way to get rid of the shadow (moving array, trimming tree, moving roof stack, etc.)?

If the shade is a tree, then as they grow, the shading will get worse (and eventually either the tree or the array will have to "give").

Another option--Face the shaded array towards the west... Collect more afternoon sun (may need to add more tilt), and can be a good thing (more hours of sun, longer charging time--Lead Acid batteries "like" more hours on charge--Vs a large array, high current, for "short" period of time).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • caleb
    Options
    Thanks for the comment @BB. I mentioned up above it's a chimney and I don't have the option of moving it, unfortunately.  I also don't have the option of adjusting the array to get out of the shadow (no room on the roof to do so).  The only option I could look at is moving to a ground mount but I really don't have anywhere I could put a ground mount and not be in the middle of trees (not just a few, a bunch of really big pines, so I'd have to clear a massive amount to not have the shadowing even worse).  I could move the ground mount further away in a meadow area but it would put me probably 500-600 feet away from the inverter and charge controller.  That would also mean I'd have to trench that and our ground is extremely rocky (big boulders ranging from a couple hundred pounds to thousands of pounds) so it would be a large project (which is actually why they ended up on the roof in the first place). 

They normally do fine where they are mount, they're on my cabin that's only used on the weekends.  So in the summer I haven't had any problems and in the winter, the snow coverage on them is a bigger problem than the shadowing.  I'm really just trying to maximize my panels and if buying an extra cable and breaking them in to 3 strings of 2 works, then that's a pretty cheap and easy thing to do.
  • mcgivor
    edited April 2020 #7
    Options
    @caleb Can you post a picture of the array ? 
  • caleb
    Options
    I'm looking through my pictures but haven't yet found any showing how the panels are mounted or even that side of the roof.  I'll keep looking.