Back to wiring .............

Options
Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
I bought some 2 gauge wire as suggested by Bill to run from the CC to the bats  for my new 2000 watt system.  By the way this wire is like some stranded copper running through the middle of pvc pipe, unbelievably stiff.  I hate it but I got it installed.  So in true style I didn't buy enough.  I really don't want to go back to Homedepot (virus) so here's my question.

I have enough 4 gauge to run from the CC to the ground side of the bats.  Is it Okeydokey or baddywaddy to go to a smaller wire temporarily?  It would be about 2.5 feet.

Thanks, Chris

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    It is fine... You could also put 2x 4 AWG in parallel, and that is the equvalent as 1 AWG (for every "doubling" in wire cross section area, the AWG drops by 3 units).

2 AWG is conservative (as I recall).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What you purchased is likely RW 90 or similar which is usually 7 strand and difficult to bend in short radius, welding cable is easier having hundreds of strands but the insulation is generally thicker.

If you have enough #4 you could parrallel for the time being, that would be larger in cross section than #2, not the best practice but would be better ran a single #4 and far better than getting sick.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't have enough 4 gauge to double up so I'll just try one.  I have no idea McGivor what they sold me but my analogy of wire through pvc pipe is accurate.  When I stripped off the insulation it was like a very hard piece of plastic.  That was just one of many difficult things that I encountered while doing this simple rewiring job ....and the easiest and nicest was using the cheap plastic tool to disconnect all the MC4 connectors.  Strange that using the $2.00 crappy tool was the nicest thing that happened all day .... lol.

Tomorrow I have to monkey around with the new combiner since it's larger than my old one so I have to do some recombobulating  to make everything fit.  ( Ya like that word? )

Thanks, Chris