1 large MPPT Controller or two smaller controllers??

Options
On my RV ....I have four 225 AH 6V AGM Batteries. A Victron 100/50 MPPT Controller, an AIMS 2000 watt PS Inverter and 4 x 100 watt panels. I just ordered 3 x 100 additional panels which will bring me up to 700 watts which is the max rating of the Charge controller.  To install more panels can I run an additional Victron MPPT 100/50 controller...or should I get one large controller? Does it make a difference?
Tagged:

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 #2
    Options
    Having multiple controllers is fine, perhaps advantageous if there is a potential for shadows as a single panel shaded, or partially shaded would  kill the output of all the panels in the series string, therefore in the case of a single large controller there would no production. This phenomenon is true for MPPT controllers, a single large PWM controller on the other hand would be OK because all panels are configured in parallel so a single shaded one would allow the others to remain producing. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    edited April 2020 #3
    Options
    I run 4  GC 208 ah @12 volts on  2 separate 30 amp controllers. 4 100 watt panels on pwm
    And 2 190 gt panels on a 30 mppt.
    Been working good for a couple years.
    One will usually  go into float before the other but that's not a problem.
    With separate controllers if one were to go bad you're still getting some power until 
    You can get a replacement.
    And With 7 panels its hard to configure with 1 mppt controller.
    the voc would be to much if all in series. But with 6 panels you could do 2 in series and 3 in parelell.
    Or 3 in series and 2 in parelell
    With 2 cc you could do 4 or more on 1
    And 3 or more  panels on the other.
    2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion