Multiple arrays on one residential lot

Options
DaleRibble
DaleRibble Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi there,

I'm in Canada and currently have an array on my garage (located by meter and where my service comes in). Just wondering if I can at a later date, add another array to my house down the road. My house has a sub panel and the power is fed from my garage. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At some point, the length of wire from the PV inverter, to the Utility Transformer, is going to be the limiting factor due to voltage rise from the wire resistance. Your arrays will tend to raise the AC voltage on your side of the transformer, and sometimes, that is enough to fault the inverter from overvoltage.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Details matter... Besides what Mike said above, there are issues with permitting and what the utility will allow (maximum array size and such). Also, depends on your present main electrical panel rating, your existing and planned array size, etc.

In general, at least in the USA, 10 kWatt and smaller systems are typical. Larger systems (over 10 kW), can run into issues with the utility/grid tied capacity regulations, and such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in Canada and currently have an array on my garage (located by meter and where my service comes in). Just wondering if I can at a later date, add another array to my house down the road. My house has a sub panel and the power is fed from my garage. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers
    Of course you can, but you need to follow the rules.
    You need to learn the rules regarding Maximum Solar Amps that can back-feed a sub-panel and
    Maximum Solar Amps that can back-feed the Main Panel.
  • DaleRibble
    DaleRibble Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Our service is 200 amps going to the garage (Main panel). The garage has a 5.4Kw system with all its components mounted on/inside the garage. I have a line trenched from my garage to my house that feeds power to the house. The most I would add is another 5Kw system.
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Our service is 200 amps going to the garage (Main panel). The garage has a 5.4Kw system with all its components mounted on/inside the garage. I have a line trenched from my garage to my house that feeds power to the house. The most I would add is another 5Kw system.
    What is the max amps from Solar that you can back-feed through your 200 Amp Main Panel ?
    Do you know how to calculate the answer?