Prismatic 3.2v 12v Connecting

Options
railcon56
railcon56 Registered Users Posts: 3
edited February 2020 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
How would I connect 4 Groups of these ... I have 16 Sinopoly Batts.... Going to do a 4s4p setup.... I'm guessing I need Cables instead of Bus Bars for this.... I cant do 48v because I already have a  " Victron MultiPlus inverter & charger. 3000 Watts, 12 Volts" I just found this Connecting message.... Thankyou Wondering what size Cables If I do have to use Cables...

Method 4

And here it is.

This looks odd but it's actually quite simple. What has been done here is to start with 2 pairs of batteries. Each wired in the proper "cross diagonal" method. Then each pair is wired together, again in the cross diagonal method.

Notice that for each individual battery, the current always goes through a total of one long link and one short link before reaching the loads.

This method also achieves perfect balance between all 4 batteries and may be easier to wire up in some installations. Many thanks to "smileypete" from www.canalworld.net/forums for this idea.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Connecting prysmatic cells is completely different to connecting batteries in parallell, with individual lithium cells, the cells are connected in parallel then the cells, or cell blocks are connected in series to achieve the nominal voltage required. Should the reference be to batteries connected in parallel thet is a different story. Are you using batteries or cells, just for clarification as details are important?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • railcon56
    railcon56 Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited February 2020 #3
    Options
    4s4p the 16 cells  Sinopoly 200ah. I have a Batrium BMS... I'm  just trying to figure out the best way to connect them...  I have 16 200ah Sinopoly Batts.I have to go with 12v though ...   I was planning on bus bars...but after seeing this article I'm wondering what is the most efficient way to Connect them.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With 16 individual cells you can choose between 12, 24 or 48 volts, 4P 4S, 2P 8S or 16S.

Before any connections are made the cells will need to be ballanced, a digital volt meter capable of 1mV, 1/1000V resolution will be required as will a 3.65V charger, assuming they are LiFePo4. Check each cell voltage and ensure they are less than 5mV apart from one another at rest, charge or discharge as required if some are either higher or lower to align all cell voltages. 

The next step is to connect all the cells in parallel which will essentially be a single cell block of 3200Ah, then charge with a dedicated charger specifically designed for the cell chemistry. Usually cells are shipped at around 50% state of charge so using a charger with sufficient charging current to hasten this very time consuming process, for example a 10A charger would take more than a week to top off the remaining 1600Ah, you need to be patient as this cannot be rushed.

Once the charging is complete the cells would need to be assembled in parallel cell blocks first then connected in series if other than 48V nominal.

This is intended as  basic information as no specific details are posted, the diagram in post #1 is not relevant to your project. Surppling links to the cells, BMS and nominal voltage intended will help in others being able to offer assistance.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.