Solar battery situation in Japan?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Been thinking that I need to live in a more traditional culture. Recent trip to Mexico did not show me what I wanted to see. I have been eyeing northern Japan for awhile now. Very, very remote.

Figured a question about costs of solar batteries in Japan might be educational. 

FWIW Iceland was investigated for awhile. It is simply too far north and the economy depends on tourism. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on what you consider "traditional" culture but in my experience many aren't particularly interested in having outsiders around.

If you get remote enough, there's no culture except whatever you make.  Non-human critters have a culture of sorts... maybe that's the ultimate "traditional"?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    I guess it depends on what you consider "traditional" culture but in my experience many aren't particularly interested in having outsiders around.

If you get remote enough, there's no culture except whatever you make.  Non-human critters have a culture of sorts... maybe that's the ultimate "traditional"?
    Did a three part 90 page paper on Japan for Int'l Marketing. Their culture is unique in many ways. They are thus far resisting the corrosive efforts of the globalists that consider the ripping of social fabric to be a vital thing to do. Russia and a few other eastern European countries are as well. 

After we are done destroying Iran and what is left of Venezuela I imagine the cross hairs may be focused on Russia. This country is intentionally being ripped apart like a child in the lions mouth. 

I just want to live another 30 years in peace and harmony with nature. Maybe 10 miles from a "post office". I'm not a complete hermit. In awe of what this guy did but that is beyond me. I don't think he even needed a dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBOBQm3bFI
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Three choices, you buy used forklift batteries and swap cells to get a good set or you buy brand new forklift batteries from one of the major makers, or you can order from china.  I live on the north west flanks of Mt. Fuji, so its not super isolated.  a 15 minute drive will get you to a convenience store another 15 will get you to a supermarket or a farmers market depending upon which direction you go. as far as off grid living, the expensive thing is getting a well punched.  any place on a mountain is a bad place to punch a well as it can cost way more than your house and property.

30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 
  • softdown
    KenMorgan said:
    Three choices, you buy used forklift batteries and swap cells to get a good set or you buy brand new forklift batteries from one of the major makers, or you can order from china.  I live on the north west flanks of Mt. Fuji, so its not super isolated.  a 15 minute drive will get you to a convenience store another 15 will get you to a supermarket or a farmers market depending upon which direction you go. as far as off grid living, the expensive thing is getting a well punched.  any place on a mountain is a bad place to punch a well as it can cost way more than your house and property.

Just watched a show on the challenges of the geography of Japan. Due to the mountains, lack of natural resources and tectonic plates (ring of fire). By comparison France enjoys almost perfect geography. I did an ~ 90 page paper on Japan for Int'l Marketing. Professor kept my paper - I suspect for the leather binder it was in. Never thought he would keep it. A huge attraction of Japan is their renowned ethics.

Guess it goes to show that a nations work ethic can overcome everything. Japan and Siberia are back off my radar for now anyway. Been a few months since I've seen a grave threat. They have come and gone for over 16 years due to previous experience in "high powered politics" - which attracts exceedingly ornery people.

Looking at Baja again - wondering about the best time to visit. I always have 300 things to do which can make things seem erratic at times.
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Japan is safe as far as visiting goes, most dangerous thing is the traffic at times short of the occasional flair up by the OC groups (yakuza)  generall they only go after each other and if you are not involved in there world they tend to try to ignore the average foreigners wandering about.  Lately its been the chinese and middle eastern theft rings tht are my biggest concern.  they cruise around in 4 ton crane trucks looking for shit to steal and sell or send home.

30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 
  • softdown
    The Chinese have not always earned a pristine reputation it would seem. Some of the tourists are prone to littering etc.