The worst weather is behind us now. vs Just getting started?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Shortest day of the year was a week ago. Each new day is a minute or so longer than yesterday. Reason to celebrate perhaps? 

I remember thinking this every year. Then gloomily realizing, sometime in January,  that long sunny days are still months away. 

I think off grid living is more of a challenge from December through February if living in colder climate zones. 20F just seems colder than it did several years ago. 

https://orchidculture.com/COD/daylength.html#35N

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The damp, gloomy cold of early winter is what gets me.  Sub 0°F is okay if there's some decent sun involved.  Usually early-mid January here it's cold enough for the gloom to lift.  That and I know it only gets better from here  :)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    I have had a couple rough second weeks in December. This year was a breeze until the third week.

Looks like I have to evict another tenant soon - and she has two kids. But you can't both ignore the owner and quit paying. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    -18F early this morning. Too cold for man nor beast. Ground snow is hardly melting at all here lately. The room next to my bedroom is currently 30F. That is the temperature of my solar batteries. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thing you don't have LFP ;)
    going to be 60F here today....We do have the weather but not much else to brag about.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've done it, but I have zero appreciation for sub-zero weather. To each his own.
    My daughter called from Anchorage when it was (-)11F there, a few days ago. She loves the Alaskan winters. We had just come back from a cocktail cruise on the lake, and I was in the process of grilling some Bratwurst and onions in my backyard (70F). I snapped this picture to send her. 

This morning it was 29F here, headed for 57F under a clear, blue sky. It looks like no more boating for the rest of this year :-) :D
     Be safe.
    Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Nice Marc !   Add some shrooms to the onions and brats and I'll bring the cerveza. Happy New Year almost!

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice Marc !   Add some shrooms to the onions and brats and I'll bring the cerveza. Happy New Year almost!

Funny that you should say that - It was actually sweet onions and fresh sliced mushrooms, sauteing in butter with a hint of garlic.  I do the onions long and slow, then add the mushrooms toward the end. Often, I will pile on the sauerkraut too - just depend on what else we are having. I am both a Pilsner and an IPA guy, but have really taken a liking to a regional brew called Shiner Bock.

Two days before Christmas it warm again, so we grilled some some ribeyes and sampled some good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, watching the sunset from the deck.

Hey, Softdown: Do you have enough heat to stay healthy?
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    I don't know. 1500 gallons of propane enough? The sunroom creates 90% of the needed heat. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It can be a liability in cold. cloudy weather of course. Don't get too much of that in an alpine desert. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Nice to be in the sun!
     The central valley below us is a fog and multi-car death trap this time of year. Never go there unless you are prepared to turn around and go back up into the mountains. You ever have any trouble getting propane out of that behemoth, must have liquid propane line?
    Happy almost!  We have a nice supply of that kirkland canadian you recommended! THX!

• softdown
    Options
    California's unique Tule fog is rather infamous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

No thanks to that!

It is a great time to have an ample supply of good whiskey! I'm already getting wasted here. Will likely be passed out when 2020 arrives.