Mixing the new XW6848-PRO with XW-6848 plain

aj164
aj164 Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
We needed to expand a single-inverter XW system to two inverters.  Our supplier was out of plain 6848s but had 6848-PRO inverters available.  I thought the pro was basically the same with new features and a better warranty.  However, I could not get the PRO inverter to start up.  It gives an  F.66 error (system configuration error).  It does this whether or not I connect its Xanbus cable or Sync cables.  (I've tried to run it standalone with everything else in the system turned off.  It still gives the F.66 error.)  

Using the System Control Panel (SCP), it appears I have access to the usual settings, and I've made sure those settings are correct.  (I've built many XW systems.)   Using the XW Config Tool, however, I cannot access any settings.  The Config Tool shows the inverter is on the network, but no settings appear under "Basic Settings".   If I select the plain-ol' 6848 inverter, it has all of the usual settings available.  

I know the new XW PRO won't work with the ComBox, but it will work with other accessories and the MPPT600 and MPPT150 charge controllers.  Can it co-exist with an older 6848 inverter?  

Why are there no settings using the Config Tool?  Do I have to buy an XW Gateway in order to work with this thing? 

-Adam

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that just sucks that the combox won't work with the newer gear.  I've got the old wi-fi gateway from 2003, a SCP and combox. A crying shame to have to toss all that to have to get a "new" gateway.

I'd think your vendor should have been upfront about compatibility before they sold you incompatible things and I'd pressure the vendor to get it working.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #3
    Hey Adam, I run both separately fine here, now and in the circuit validation testing for Schneider. I do not run master slave and I was told that it was not planned to do this, but it could be made to work with firmware.
     Many of the new functions on xw pro can't run in a master slave config with a non pro inverter. I wrote about this on the forum here a year ago.
    As Mike said, a good vendor should help you, but in reality this is still a very new product. The Pro has 2 new pcb's and is really very different on the inside.
    You should contact Schneider and be on the installer list. The config tool needs to be up to date for pro. I run it here along with combox and gateway.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• aj164
    aj164 Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

You should contact Schneider and be on the installer list. The config tool needs to be up to date for pro. I run it here along with combox and gateway.
    I have tried and have been waiting for a couple of months now to get on the "installer list".  By the way, we WERE on the list, and somehow now we are not.  We've only been installing these systems since 2008...    I cannot get Schneider tech support to write back or call back regarding getting on the list.  We now have a few customers stuck - because we're stuck - without tech support. 

• Dave Angelini
    Drop me an e-mail please.

• Dave Angelini
    Hi Adam,
    Please drop me an email off of the group here. My email is below my signature. I need to know how many times you tried to sign up and when.

For other installers, Schneider did have 2 periods of time (that I know of)  where things did not get processed correctly.
    During those times existing installers and designers had no problem contacting them by voice or email.
    Once you fill out the form you should get a confirmation in 5 days with a phone number and code to get in monday thru friday business hours. Link for application below.
    https://solar.schneider-electric.com/solar-installer-registration/